Anyone else here tv -less?

Old 05-10-2010, 03:51 PM

We use our TV like a radio - background noise. We do buy alot of movies for our collection, but it takes me 3 days to get through one because I forget that I'm watching one and have to keep rewinding. lol
Old 05-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

It seem like mine is always on. I like to watch Foodnetwork. And of course the quilting shows. DGD uses it to play the Wii.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:01 AM

Love Bones and NCIS
Old 05-11-2010, 04:48 AM

Well we have an antennae, and that is fine with us. No cable, used netflix for a short time (a gift certificate). It was nice, but we did not like the pressure of feeling like we needed to watch it to get our moneys worth.......ha.And we found that the tv makes us lazy. When we go to relatives and they have cable, that is all we do. Then when we get back, we say naw........Prefer to work in the yard with hubby, and sew.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
If any of you decide to watch the tv again, be prepared! There seems to be only 2 big themes to advertising. I watch and am amazed.

People who watch American TV from overseas must think that all American women are constipated and must eat yogurt to poop and no American men still have ahem, "vigor".

Evidently we are a limp and stuffy society, according to advertizing executives.
You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO funny!! And what about the "just say no" campaign that was popular a few years ago??? DRUG PUSHING advertising that could cause, insomnia, swollen ankles, unusual cravings, constipation, diaherria (sp) strokes or death!! You get the picture!
Old 05-11-2010, 04:57 AM

We wake up, turn on the tv - its on until we go to bed - sometimes longer - I do watch regular shows IF I can find non-re runs! Duggers, Roloffs, partial VIEW, the soaps are really stupid anymore (who is writing that trash?)Huckabee, Tribal Odessy (when on) - we watch wayyyyyyy too much (complaining all the time) :-)!!!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:39 AM

We have tv and the network. I watch it a lot, more than I should, but wish we didn't have it. It would take a while to get used to having only local, but at night that is usually all we watch. I have a tv in the sewing room, don't have the converter box, but play DVD's in there and music. I am a happy camper. When I am in the sewing mood, which I am not now, I could just stay in there.

Rita
Old 05-11-2010, 07:02 AM

In the early 2000s, I got disgusted with that guy on American
Idol, asked myself why was I paying good money for something
that I hated, so canceled my cable. I keep telling myself that should
I ever miss it, I can easily (WAY to easily) start it again. I can still
watch my big collection of videos and CDs and even see old TV
programs in their entirety on my computer, so why should I bother
with the expense? Watching TV when visiting friends is becoming
annoying, they invite friends over, then spend a great deal of time
watching loud TV and ignoring their invited guests!!

Sorry about venting to you..lots of others simply don't seem to
understand this!!
Old 05-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

We have 4 TVs and would not be without my full package on cable. I watch only a few channels, Hubby watches the rest. I was raised in the 50's, never had TV until after I got married, haven't been without since and never will be. I listen to talk radio during the day, at work and will retire in June and plan to catch up then, while I sew.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:02 AM

I watch very little TV usually when I don't feel well and I just don't have the energy to do anything else. We were going to give up our cable but Comcast, bless their little hearts, have it set up where we would be saving about 3 dollars a month. The computer hookup charge would be raised that high if we had only one. If we can get a second computer or a lap top we may go to Clear and get rid of Comcast. ( I am selfish not giving up my computer to my DD)
I listen to books on tape when I sew and having the fosters keeps me plenty busy. Especially the two chihuahua's I have right now.