Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
sayings that don't maske sense to me >

sayings that don't maske sense to me

sayings that don't maske sense to me

Old 05-11-2010, 05:25 PM

I'd come across the explaination for the Peas Porridge Hot...origin. Here's what I got from: http://www.vegparadise.com/highestperch52.html

If you were a young peasant child growing up in sixteenth century England, your frequent meals of pease porridge served hot, cold, and in-between may have prompted you to express your lack of enthusiasm in just such a verse.

A large kettle containing a thick porridge made of peas hung over the fire in many English and Scottish homes during the Middle Ages and was customary even in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Because few of the peasants could afford meat, they based their meals on pease porridge with an abundance of whatever vegetables were on hand. When the fire died down at night, the morning porridge was quite cold. Each day the fire was relit, and more peas and vegetables were added to the kettle. Indeed, the original ingredients in the kettle could have been nine days old.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:33 PM

How about these: Dirt poor, Piss poor, and "he didn't have a pot to piss in"?

You were dirt poor if you had a dirt floor. Apparantly there was a time (somewhere) when poor people sold urine to the tallow man so he could cure his hides to sell. If you partook in this, you were piss poor. Some people who sold urine had a vessel to contain and carry the urine to the tallow man. If you didn't have such a vessel, you didn't have a pot to piss in.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Judie
Acording to my Daddy.. "If you wanted to run with the big dawgs ya had to get off the porch!"

and of course, "Beauty is as Beauty does" but that does make sense...

My mom would threaten us that if we didn't behave "she'd reach down our throat and jerk us inside out" We always straightened up pretty quickly..

or if we didn't stop she was going to "jerk our arm off and beat us with the bloody stump" Pretty horrifying, but it always made us laugh... then she'd start laughing and whatever was wrong was okay again.

I wonder if you'd get hauled off to the pokey for saying those sorts of things now?
i hope not lol... a few years ago i threatened to rip off my sons arm and beat him with it lol... dont even remember the reason anymore... but he thought i was seriously going to lol
Old 05-11-2010, 06:00 PM

How about "Funny as Hell" - huh??
Old 05-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
When I worked and had board meetings, some new company policy or other fad theme came out, the dept VP always said another diamonds up a goat's a__ item to come from corp. Ha
DH says, "It shines like a dime in a goat's _ss!"
Does that mean there's a dime eating goat around? :roll:
Old 05-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Judie
or if we didn't stop she was going to "jerk our arm off and beat us with the bloody stump" Pretty horrifying, but it always made us laugh...
I used that on a guy at work who always had to hug people. I AM NOT A HUGGER! He didn't see humor in it at all. Since then, I have mellowed out.

{{{Hugs}}} lol

Originally Posted by 2wheelwoman
How about "Funny as Hell" - huh??
Considering all the funny people I know who will most likely be there, it is a funny place. I so get that!
Old 05-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Pam

When I was in the USMC one guy I worked with threatened to rip someone's head off and sh** down his neck! I thought I would bust out laughing out loud, and I really don't think that would have been in MY best interest.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pam
When I was in the USMC one guy I worked with threatened to rip someone's head off and sh** down his neck! I thought I would bust out laughing out loud, and I really don't think that would have been in MY best interest.
That's makes me remember DH coming home laughing one time, telling me he had been to a friend's house, and the guy had a girl and a boy.
The boy got agitated with his sister and told her he would "twist her head off like a Barbie doll and spit down her neck!" :shock:
I bet is his mama heard him talk like that, she would 'tan his hide!' :shock: :lol:
Old 05-14-2010, 06:57 PM

"Good enough for the girls I go out with" is something I've heard said.

The one that puzzled me when I was a kid: "Close enough for government work"
Old 05-14-2010, 09:25 PM

My Mom and Dad are from southern Ohio and WV. They used most of these. They always said something like Ill give you dollars to donuts which I thought meant they were pretty sure of something. Also if I was any better, I would be illegal. My grandma used to say something like pickle my britches.

When I was really little, until I could read the Bible, I always thought we talked about the Father, the Son and the Holy Hose. It was very confusing to me why we cared so much about their socks.