Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Puppy help......what kind to get >

Puppy help......what kind to get

Puppy help......what kind to get

Old 05-15-2010, 04:28 AM

No one has mentioned Border Collies. I was seriously ill several years ago and she was most helpful to me. She is calm, patient and a great guard dog to boot. I also live in a single wide trailer. I believe they are considered medium size dogs, although she is bigger than most I see. She has moved down the road with my estranged husband but whenever he's not home she's posting guard duty right on my doorstep! I think she'd just as soon stay here if I'd let her LOL
Old 05-15-2010, 08:13 AM

Shell,
You're right about border collies. My elderly parents have one that takes care of them. He watches over them and takes Dad for walks. He's never had an accident in the house. They are so smart they anticipate needs before they happen.

Also on the list should be Australian Shepherds. We had one that would bring us his empty food dish when the kids didn't feed him. He would go to the car door and try to open the door with his mouth when he wanted to go for a ride. He was smart in so many ways. And very protected.
Did not bark much.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

I would suggest a rescue dog. All the dogs we have had and do have now are all rescue mix breed dogs. All have been smart, loyal, and easy to train. Why anyone would go pay a high price for a pure breed to be a pet when the shelters are killing dogs every day is something I don't understand.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:32 PM

I have a Lab/boxer mix that was abandoned at the vet's along with 12 other pups & the mommy dog. We adopted her. Anyhow, when I was unable to walk or reach for things because of my back, Hi-Dee would do it for me.
If I dropped the tv remote & she was in the kitchen or sound asleep, she would come & pick it up for me. When she saw that hubby was taking off my shoes, she would go grab my slippers. At night, she would lay down behind me after I got in bed to act as a support for my back. I wouldn't sell/trade her for anything in the world.
Here in Ohio, the 4-H kids usually have 'pilot' puppies, They train them to sit, speak, alert you when they have to go out to do their business, etc. Myself, I would suggest you check into that kind of program. The pups are about 4 months old when you get them & there isn't a cost to you. (That's what my neighbor told me & her friend's daughter did this for several years. The kids just get heartbroken when the pup goes to a new owner, but they know they were doing a great service to others.)
Old 05-15-2010, 05:55 PM

I would certainly go through an agency for a service dog. They must have special training and no matter how smart a dog,( lab, golden, or whatever) if they aren't trained properly your just taking a big expensive chance the dog will catch on. Good Luck and I know they are out there. Ask your local vet.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:28 AM

I am not sure how old your daughter is but the Shriners have been a huge help to both my sister and daughter in getting help with medical issues.

My sister's son had an accident at a sitter's and ended up with a horribly burned arm. They provided not only for the medical interventions he needed but also transportation to the hospital across the country. They picked them up at their door and drove them to the airport and someone was waiting at the airport to take them to the hospital.

My daughter has had medical testing done on her children for various learning disabilities. Also these wonderful men picked her and the kids up and took them for their testing.

If they cannot help they may be able to point you in a direction for assistance with medical supplies.

As far as a service dog. I would definately contact the organizations that others have suggested. Perhaps a note off to AKC would also put you in touch with organizations involved with service dogs.

Hope some of this helps. Please keep us posted. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:08 AM

My husband is hanndicapped and we got a lab. we taught him to do all kinds of things for him, they are so smart and gentle.
I highly recommend them.But' there are other small dogs that could do.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Google Goddess

let us know what kind of puppy you get
Old 05-17-2010, 12:45 PM

Where labs are concerned, they can range from medium to large. If you can get info on the parents size, that would be ideal. Also, there are groups that specifically rescue labs and you might get one from them at a lower cost.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned

I wish you luck in finding the perfect fit for your daughter. It is importain to make sure she gets the kind she wants, so that she has a say in who is gone to be her companion for a good 14 years. I totally understand about finances. so check around and see if there is programs that donate animal food for pet owners. worth a try anyway. God bless. Penny