Microsoft Word question...

Old 05-22-2010, 07:09 AM

PatriceJ--I tried that "this section only" option several times before posting and it still changed it to every page, even after I tried highlighting the stuff on the page I wanted the border around--which was the whole thing. I was so sure that was the perfect option--but it isn't working as I think it should. :|
Old 05-22-2010, 07:43 AM

I believe in Word 07 "Page borders" is a page background option, and it wants to apply it to the entire document.

The only other thing I can think of is if there is a Paragraph Border you can choose from the drop down list that would be fancy enough for a certificate, if you don't want to find certificate clip art online somewhere and use as a graphic.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Can you set up each award as a paragraph and then just border each paragraph differently, even thought each paragraph will be as big as a page?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:14 AM

What if you complete one award, save it, then reopen it and click on "edit". Then change the border.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:49 AM

I would insert an autoshape of the border, the same size as the page border would have been. 2007 is not the easiest Office Suite to get used to - I still have to click and click before I find what I'm looking for.

For using the built in-borders, you have to section the document first.

Page layout tab, breaks, section breaks has to have the breaks set first. Then you can go to the page borders. When you set the page borders, the "Apply to" area will have a pull down that lets you choose "this section only". When you are doing that, you need to be on the page you are setting.

I got it to work on mine.

Oh, and you can pull down some of the canned border art there, in the middle column, under "Art"... and re-color the black and white ones just above that setting.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
I would insert an autoshape of the border, the same size as the page border would have been. 2007 is not the easiest Office Suite to get used to - I still have to click and click before I find wha I'm looking for.
When I was first confronted with Office 2007 I made this analogy: "This is just like someone came in and reorganized your kitchen while you were away. You know you have a large frying pan, but it's not in the cabinet you used to keep it, and you have to look in ALL the cabinets to find it!"

After close to 3 years working with it, I'm finally getting used to it - but now, I hear that Office 2010 lets you arrange the ribbon bars the way you want, and I actually am looking forward to a Microsoft upgrade for the first time in over a decade!
Old 05-22-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
I would insert an autoshape of the border, the same size as the page border would have been. 2007 is not the easiest Office Suite to get used to - I still have to click and click before I find what I'm looking for.

For using the built in-borders, you have to section the document first.

Page layout tab, breaks, section breaks has to have the breaks set first. Then you can go to the page borders. When you set the page borders, the "Apply to" area will have a pull down that lets you choose "this section only". When you are doing that, you need to be on the page you are setting.

I got it to work on mine.

Oh, and you can pull down some of the canned border art there, in the middle column, under "Art"... and re-color the black and white ones just above that setting.
Okay--this worked well for one page!! Then I happily kept going and couldn't get it to work again... but I must be getting closer. :lol: I've lunged horses, finished planting the garden, worked on some blocks and have gotten the wash off the line... now I'll drink some tea and work on it some more...

Thanks!!
Old 05-22-2010, 11:53 AM

Moonpi!!! I'm doing it!!! It's working!!! Happy dance!! Thank you so much!! I would not have clicked in those places without your help. Yay!!! :-D :-D

Thanks!

I can only imagine what I could do if I learned all this stuff. :roll:
Old 05-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Administrator

I have this to say about Word 2007.

Bill Gates is lucky he doesn't live in my neighborhood. Eggs are cheap around here. :lol:
Old 05-22-2010, 12:30 PM

Been working on them for awhile and all is well! I'm putting a colored border on each and adding clip art or a photo from the year.

The only trouble now--and it's minor--is there's an extra page between every award. I'll just need to be careful to print pages one by one.

I'd love to send the project to someone, but when I try that--it never is able to be opened on their computer. :roll: So, I'll take photos of the printed copies so you can see what you helped me do!

I'm so relieved I'm ahead of the game this year. These don't need to be finished until later in June. Their quilt blocks are coming along too!