Rating quilts

Old 05-23-2010, 11:47 PM

I love looking at everyones quilts, regardless of their level of ability. There is always something to admire in each of them - whether it be beautiful work, lovely fabric or great ideas that I would like to use myself.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:31 AM

I agree, I so not rate - they are all so beautiful and much much better that I will ever do. but what inspiration I get from all of them, whether it is a border, color, design or ect. I enjoy looking at all of them and getting ideas and tips from all of you. Thank you all!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:29 AM

I don't rate; I just look and think how beautiful they all are.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I'd like to read that article of Mark Lipinski's if anyone knows if it could be found online.

I just entered a quilt in the AQS Knoxville 2010 show and it's the first show that I've entered since my very first quilt that I entered in my county fair. I went back and forth about entering it because I know darn well that it isn't perfect. I'm under no illusions about it.

To my utter shock it was accepted for the show. I really don't expect to win anything but you know what? I ENTERED!! No one has the authority to tell me if I should enter or not, whether I should try or not. Whether I win or not is irrelevant right now. And so is anyone's opinion that I shouldn't have entered anything less than perfect.
Pam, congrats!!!! I'll be pulling for you. I just wanted to say that I had a conversion with one of the "big shot" judge, teacher people once and she told me this...the most important thing about quilts in a show and the ONE thing they ALL have in common is this- "They ENTERED". So....go for it, like you see, you just never know!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:05 AM

There really doesn't seem to be too many areas of quilting technique which are hard and fast rules. Almost every facet of quilting is a matter of opinion (in my opinion!). I may choose a different set of colors or arrangement for my own quilt, but that's what makes them "our quilts" that are unique to us. The lady who taught me basic quilting was strict about many things, but even she said she always intentionally put a "mistake" in her quilts somewhere, because that was part of the charm of homemade quilts. She didn't want something that looked like it came out of a factory, and I don't either. There's no danger that anything I make will be perfect, but those are my unique mistakes that I hope my great-grandchildren will enjoy; and if they chuckle about them, so much the better.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:35 AM

she always intentionally put a "mistake" in her quilts somewhere

I don't have to intentionally put a mistake. They appear on their own and I don't see them until after I've quilted. :lol:
Old 05-24-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
What amazes me more than anything is when someone posts a picture with the comment that THEY think it's the ugliest thing they've ever made, and yet, when I look at it, I love it! Bottom line, we don't need quilt police because we're our own worse critics!!
I agree with you QBeth!!
Old 05-24-2010, 01:02 PM

I picture myself sitting at a dais, with my paddles in hand- going 10, 10, 10 and sitting upright and proud with my vote. (and my accent is Bruno's too!)

Actually, my idea coincides with Charlee's. Although, most of the time it's- holy cow, I will NEVER be that good!
Old 05-24-2010, 02:00 PM

I love to look at all the quilts on this site. And I look just about every day. Some of them are not my taste, and some are my taste. Some I love, love, love, and some, well, not so much. BUT in every one of them there is something to admire, to like, or maybe try to incorporate into a future quilt. It could be the color combination, a particular fabric, the block usage, or the borders. It could be the quilting itself, or the applique that makes me stop and really look at it again and smile. I think that's the key here- does it make you smile? There was a post here recently with a photo of a woman "trying out the quilt"- she was napping on the sofa with the quilt bundled around her. I loved it- the whole idea of the "test drive" for a quilt. So, no, I don't RATE the quilts, I look at them, find out why I can't stop looking at them, and smile. The smile does it for me.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:15 PM

You know I am only 65 yrs old, I syarted drawing about 5 years ago, and I draw black and white pencil drawings for my family as gifts. and close friends...They love them, Maybe someday I will enter one in an art show if I get better and better. I have only belonged to this board since feb. and I can see my improvement and naybe someday when I get better I might enter one of my quilts in a show. And I might win. So I am going to keep working at these things and maybe, just maybe I will get to be the quilter I would like to be.....Keep trying and don't give up.