Pit bulls

Old 05-24-2010, 02:52 PM

They get a bum rap. Pit bulls can be very sweet. It all depends on who trains them and how they train them.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:59 PM

As a mother of young children, I would be highly concerned if a Pit Bull moved in next door.

I understand there are a lot of Pit Bulls, Rottweilers and Dobermans out there that have never done anything wrong, but every story I ever hear where a dog has attacked a person, it has been one of those breeds. The three that I personally know were all family pets. I have never heard of a Lab, Retriever or other well known family breeds, attacking someone. I believe there is a reason for this. Just as physical traits run the same in each different breed, so do mental traits.

I understand a lot of people own these breeds and love them. I respect that, but still don't trust those dogs enough to allow my children around them. It's just not worth the risk.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:44 PM

I think the pup will be just fine-dogs are usually kind unless they are mistreated
Old 05-24-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
As a mother of young children, I would be highly concerned if a Pit Bull moved in next door.

I understand there are a lot of Pit Bulls, Rottweilers and Dobermans out there that have never done anything wrong, but every story I ever hear where a dog has attacked a person, it has been one of those breeds. The three that I personally know were all family pets. I have never heard of a Lab, Retriever or other well known family breeds, attacking someone. I believe there is a reason for this. Just as physical traits run the same in each different breed, so do mental traits.

My son was attacked by a lab last year-he bent over to pick up a ball and the dog came around the corner and knocked him down and bit him multiple times and tried to drag him away. He had to be put down. It was very scary.
I understand a lot of people own these breeds and love them. I respect that, but still don't trust those dogs enough to allow my children around them. It's just not worth the risk.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Sorry, did not see this is an old post.

First let me say I agree with the terminology ChasingHawk stated. It is a generic term for three breeds. They do get a bum rap. I also agree with everything ShadowDancer said.
However, having managed the county animal shelter for almost 3 years, pits were one of the breeds we were not allowed to adopt out. In our county, they were bred for security of the drug houses and other illegal endeavors. So, most that we saw and handled, were not the kind of dogs we would want to live next to. One employee had three pits, were family pets, and one day one turned on her. They also would go out during the day and kill any critter they came across. Normally for any critter, I would agree in how it is raised, but have my judgement about pits.

They were notorious for having to use the catch pole on because of their aggrssiveness and unwillingness to allow us to even clean their cages. Thankfully, no one in our shelter was ever injured by one. Animal control had his share of problems in the field, tho. That's a whole 'nuther story.

However, many of them I made friends with, held and loved, but they did not return the favor so to speak. Something about them. To be honest, they are the only 'breed' I respected enough to not turn my back on and I can honestly say I do not trust them but do feel sorry for them.

Many home insurance companies will not insure a home if they know a pit lives there and will cancel your policy if they find out. Many counties don't allow them either.

Good luck.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by crawford1219
My son was attacked by a lab last year-he bent over to pick up a ball and the dog came around the corner and knocked him down and bit him multiple times and tried to drag him away. He had to be put down. It was very scary.
I am very sorry to hear about your sons accident. If that would have been a pit bull, your son most likely would not have survived. That's one of the big differences with pit bulls and other breeds. Every dog has the ability to become aggressive and territorial, pit bulls just have an enormous amount of jaw and neck strength, more so than any other dog. They can do huge amounts of damage with one or two bites.

Lets face it, all dogs are a close relative to wolves and coyotes. They are pack animals that are carnivores. I don't care how long they've been domesticated, they still have some natural instincts within them that will never be bred out. Some just have more aggressive tendancies than others.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:48 AM

My dogs and kids were attacked by a pit bull, She ran out of her house, ran up the street, did not give any warning, just attacked the dogs. I ended up kicking the dog in the head, and if my dog wasn't so fat would have pierced her intestines. The owner did pay all the vet cost, but the experience left my kids with nightmares for years. My neighbor was attacked in the same manner with a pit bull, that ran out and attacked without warning. I would not take the risk of having a pit bull. But I do a say that there are other dogs that are viscous also.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:49 AM

I will admit to being scared of pits. We have a neighbor who has them. I have chickens and made sure that my chicken run was as secure as Fort Knox. the dogs could not get in through the run so they gnawed through the wood of the coop! The dogs have not been aggressive with me but he breeds them every so often to have a litter of puppies to sell. He spent half his growing up time in juvy too so not the brightest bulb in the box. I think that at one time pits may have been great family dogs....but due to backyard breeders and such I would never trust one around my kids. Growing up I survived a dog bite. We had a gs/collie mix that turned one day and attacked me. I had stitches all over my face and head. For years (until dh and I were married!) I was petrified of big dogs. We got a lab mix though and that was the best dog ever. Then a few years back we got another lab. When ds was born that dog looked at him with this look in his eye that just scared me. he went to a home with NO children. We now have a great pyr. (I have discovered that I really do have a soft spot for the big guys!) He is the biggest ball of fur I have ever seen. I would hate to get on the wrong side of him but have no fear about him and the kids. I've seen him in action. The kids are "his" and nothing and no one gets near them. My mother (who for various reasons...drugs, violence) we don't go around stopped by unexpectedly one day. Tucker took one look at her sitting next to one of the kids on the couch and started growling....until I told ds to move. Tucker then positioned himself between the kids and my mother and just laid there watching. I did put him on leash though to be safe. I can safely have my front door open at any time and know without a doubt that no one is coming in without permission. Well unless its one of dd's friends. Tucker gets lovesick whenever she comes over....he licks her feet, begs to be petted, and generally just makes quite the pest of himself. Oh and the lab that scared me was akc and ckc registered....not from a backyard breeder. So I think that any dog can have the propensity to do damage. I just think pits have more of it due to poor breeding.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:09 AM

Having survived an attack by a Pit Bull I would be concerned. They can be sweet to their owners but if they feel threatened look out. I was an Avon Rep. and making a delivery and all I did was knock on their door and it shot through the doggy door and attacked me. I have scars of a perfect set of teeth in my arm and hip and I have had post traumatic stress for years. I will never recover mentally from this attack. If the owner hadn't heard my screams I probably wouldn't be here today. The dog was dragging me to the ground when she showed up.

Personally I am pleased that cities are making owning one against the law. I've seen too many headlines in the news of children being attacked and killed. My friend is a vet tech and she also has seen many sad stories.

Animals can be great pets but we have to remember they are biologically programmed to be wild animals. Just look at Siegfried and Roy and how that turned out.

Oh and I forgot to point out that the owners said this was a sweet dog and they had a toddler son. Animals are unpredictable.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:11 AM

I have an American Stafforshire Terrier (pitbull) he is a big baby. Would be a 60lb lap dog, if we let him. The stories you hear are ones in which the dog was very abused. They get a bum rap.