Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores. >

Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores.

Fabric price increase starting in June for most all fabric stores.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:07 PM

I understood Jingleberry's words "mean, miserable people" to be said/meant in a humorous way.
I buy a majority of my fabric from eBay sellers. I almost always get 1st quality fabric at a bargain price, even after paying s/h. Many times quilters decide to downsize and sell-off their fabric collections. Sometimes a seller has bought a fabric stash at an estate sale. The few times I got something of less quality than I expected, I made quilted pads for my dogs' beds, doll quilts, or pillowcases for travel pillows as gifts for children.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:08 PM

Time to shop through our stash.
I did find a set of lovely light green sheets at a yard sale,
then the next one had a set of light green striped sheets
a little darker than the first. I intend to put them in a
child's quilt, they will go together nicely.

But for later, I'm going to be looking harder for those 40
and 50 percent off coupons at JoAnne's.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:34 PM

I work in a LQS and we don't raise the price on the fabic that is in the store, if it cost more when we get it then we have to charge more, but she charges acording to what she pays for it, our prices go from $4.95 to $9.00 per yard, we try to be fair.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:43 PM

If you are looking for some bargains, www.eleanorburns.com is having a 30% off sale. www.connectingthreads.com has books for 40% off. Hancock's of Paducah also had some Moda jelly rolls for $19.99 yesterday. Pretty good deals.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:55 PM

I wonder if this will affect the on-line purchases we make?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:39 PM

My friend is the head of the crafts dept at our local drug store. they sell fabric ( thimbleberries, debbie mumm, etc) and I asked her if she knew about the fabric increase. She goes to the fabric shows and orders from the store as well. She told me that from what she knows it won't go up too much for the store. She said they buy their fabric flat folded and not on the cardboard that the quilt shops (and others) use. Some of the fabric she buys does come on the cardboard, but most is flat folded. She says it is cheaper that way and they can put it on the cardboard themselves. The store sells fabric mostly for $5.99, and some is $8.99. On mondays the cottons are 20% off, on Thurs. the notions are 20%off, and on Friday the flannels are 20% off. tues and wed. are other things (not sewing related). their fabric is quilt shop quality, and they get name brands.
One quilt teacher I had said that if you want to use Walmart fabric, hold it up to the light and look at the weave. If it is loose, don't quilt with it, if it is tight, you can use it.
Bottom line is that the prices may not be too bad in some areas, and we will all have to get creative in finding fabric for our hobby.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I've been told my many quilt shops and stores that the fabric prices would increase in June.

I went to a nearby Walmart to buy two yards of all the quilt of the month fabric, red, white and blues. The clerk was printing out new price stickers. She said at midnight tonight the prices increase on all the fabric by $1 or more a yard. Some more than $2. But the quilt of the month fabric less then a $1 increase this time. She said they were told the prices will increase more by fall on the fabric.
OUCH the price was bad enough at $8.50-$9.50 I guess I will ordering more of my fabric from Connecting Threads at $5.96 I have purchased there's before and It is nice. Besides I have to drive at least 45 minutes to an hour to get to a quilt shop any way.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:02 PM

Around here our gas prices have dropped recently, so I pray that's a sign that our fabric will not be increased by as much as some of you have witnessed. That would not please me. not at all.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:53 PM

I remember when it was 36" also.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:22 PM

I asked the owner of my LQS about this, and she laughed. So hopefully that means I won't see higher prices there!