Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Copyrights >

Copyrights

Copyrights

Old 06-05-2010, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by bj
I did a class with my guild a couple of years ago on the Eleanor Burns "Quick Trip Around the World". The girl who taught the class contacted her, and the only way we could do the class was if everyone participating had a copy of the book. She found some at a reduced price and we all bought a book. I'm sure the rules vary from person to person, however. You might contact the artist/publisher and ask.
My chapter is going to do the Under Ground Railroad and ALL participants are required to purchase our own book prior to the class. If we don't, we can't participate. We will begin Jan. 2011. However, once the quilt or squares are completed, I can photograph them and post them where ever I wish as the work is mine, the pattern and book can be credited and then anyone interested can go purchase the books. I could NOT scan in and share photos of HER work as that would be copyright infringement - only my own pieced squares and quilt.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:05 AM

Actually, I think those asking questions should be referred to the book as her demonstrations of each step are wonderful - or so I've been told. Definitely ask permission from the author but be very cautious. Her books are big sellers and very accessible today so you definitely don't want to say or do anything that could compromise her source of income. If a group is using her book and doing a class with the book and someone inexperienced quilter needs help with a technique, you can person to person help her figure out the technique - that's ok because you both OWN that book. If they don't own the book, I honestly wouldn't help with the technique even though you may not be able to copyright a technique. Just my opinion. I hear her books and techniques are wonderful although I've not used them yet but I do own the URR book for when we begin our classes in 2011 and most likely, the dyslexia in me will need in person assistance from the group leader.

Originally Posted by Chele
You're teaching a class from a book you didn't write. You have permission to distribute fabric requirements and instructions on how many cuts from the pieces of fabric, but that's about it. If you want to distribute more (i.e., step-by-step photographed instruction), you should really ask for permission.

Put yourself in the author's shoes if it makes it easier. If you wrote a pattern, would you like someone to be able to copy that pattern and make money without giving you credit or compensation? She went through a lot of work to get her book published. If someone buys one copy and teaches a class of 1,000 you can see how that dilutes her success.

Chances are, she'll grant you permission to do what you want, but it's always polite (and legal) to get permission.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey
She gives permission to teach the class. she even gives you guidelines on how many hours per day for the amount of classes you want. She gives you permission to do almost everything except pass the book around or copy her photos . That's why I didn't bring the book to class. I used my quilt as an example so they had something to look at. I'm not selling anything. It's almost the same as the one block wonder just a different shape. There are tutorials on the OBW on this board showing photos of the technique wouldn't that be the same?? Now I'm getting confused ! When you buy a book and learn something can you not pass it on?
There are several well-known authors/quilters that will certify others to teach their methods - and the rule without exception is that each student must purchase their own copy of the book/pattern/tool. I follow that rule; it is simply not fair that I profit from someone else's hard work and reputation. I didn't dream this stuff up, work out the technique, etc. - the person that did deserves the credit for that.

I'm biased, I'll admit; I am a certified QIAD instructor. I went through all the requirements to get certified to teach methods that I am excited about. I use those methods in putting together my own original designs - so I made sure I had permission to be teaching those techniques even when the class is on my designs. In my mind, it was just the right thing to do.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:19 AM

I enjoyed reading your reply below as I'd wondered what legalities were involved to do such teaching and it's wonderful that quilt designers who publish will give such permission. When I first joined the chapter I'm in, projects were taught without such requirements but for the URR, we are ALL required to purchase the book. Actually, it's the best way to go anyway as not only do we have someone who has already taken the class leading/teaching us to help us but we also then own the book with all the information for future use and reference. I agree, we must honor and protect those copyrights so they will continue to publish and share and how wonderful that there is such an opportunity for them generater income by doing so. Thank you for enlightening all of us.

Originally Posted by Roben
Originally Posted by Honchey
She gives permission to teach the class. she even gives you guidelines on how many hours per day for the amount of classes you want. She gives you permission to do almost everything except pass the book around or copy her photos . That's why I didn't bring the book to class. I used my quilt as an example so they had something to look at. I'm not selling anything. It's almost the same as the one block wonder just a different shape. There are tutorials on the OBW on this board showing photos of the technique wouldn't that be the same?? Now I'm getting confused ! When you buy a book and learn something can you not pass it on?
There are several well-known authors/quilters that will certify others to teach their methods - and the rule without exception is that each student must purchase their own copy of the book/pattern/tool. I follow that rule; it is simply not fair that I profit from someone else's hard work and reputation. I didn't dream this stuff up, work out the technique, etc. - the person that did deserves the credit for that.

I'm biased, I'll admit; I am a certified QIAD instructor. I went through all the requirements to get certified to teach methods that I am excited about. I use those methods in putting together my own original designs - so I made sure I had permission to be teaching those techniques even when the class is on my designs. In my mind, it was just the right thing to do.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Google Goddess

will follow this thread