Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting and camping - any tips? >

Quilting and camping - any tips?

Quilting and camping - any tips?

Old 06-05-2010, 10:28 AM

I used one of those cardboard cutting tables many years ago when I lived in trailer with my former husband(he died from cancer) and my mother , we cut out our projects in the bed and sewed on TV tables in the living room and the kitchen bar, set up a serger and sewing machine , bought material from a dollar store in Bountiful Utah, those days are long gone , tricot for a buck, polyster from the Pykette factory for a dollar a bag in Salt Lake City, Mom learned to make nities and panties as well as shirts and pants for all my sisters :-P
Old 06-05-2010, 05:55 PM

I drive a big rig with my husband and I take a sewing machine with me so when we are sitting I can quilt. A lot of the time I do hand sewing. We have a table in the sleeper, but dh is usually laying down so I have a little folding table I bring along. When we retire we want to get a camper and I would definitely bring my sewing machine with me. If your is roomy enough there should be no problem.... :thumbup:
Old 06-05-2010, 06:38 PM

I am still cleaning the new semi-we went from a 72" bunk area to 86"!! I already have a spot picked out for my machine-just need to get a small fold up table since the one provided is less than 18" square. Remember, where there is a will, there is a way!
Old 06-06-2010, 11:57 AM

A friend of mine and I went traveling to a sewing seminar and quilted along the way. Every night we set up a table took out our machines her on one side and me on the other side. We had a great time. Some of the other campers came to see what we were doing. The last day before the seminar started we sewed all day walking around the camp ground when we took a break. It was great fun. She was organized. She had her cutting mat under the mattress one cabinet over the main cabin to store her machine and supplies. Give it a try, she still
Old 06-06-2010, 11:57 AM

A friend of mine and I went traveling to a sewing seminar and quilted along the way. Every night we set up a table took out our machines her on one side and me on the other side. We had a great time. Some of the other campers came to see what we were doing. The last day before the seminar started we sewed all day walking around the camp ground when we took a break. It was great fun. She was organized. She had her cutting mat under the mattress one cabinet over the main cabin to store her machine and supplies. Give it a try, she still
Old 06-06-2010, 03:00 PM

I am so glad to see that so many of ya'll are camping and sewing too! I'm losing my anxiety over it all now and am getting excited instead. I'm loving these pictures and stories! Please continue!
Old 06-06-2010, 03:04 PM
bkb

We would camp for a week at a time, bluegrass jam. I used a plastic picnic type table under the awning , sewed outside! Love it!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:31 PM

We have wintered in FL for 14 years and I wouold never go without my machine. I put projects together with instructions and fabric in small clear totes. Then they fit either under bed or in closet. I bring basic thread. We have a large 5th wheel so I put the machine behind one LR chair. My rulers and mat go in closet against outside wall standing up. Happy traveling
Old 06-06-2010, 06:58 PM

I never thought of taking my quilting when we go camping. We are just retired & bought a motor home. I'm now shopping for a small sewing machine and am so excited!!
Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 PM
bkb

I've made queen size quilts in my camper! He likes to fish and I like to piece, if he can take his toys so can I!!!