Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat >

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Old 06-15-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by no1jan
I have difficulty reading because of my eyes, but I love listening to audio tapes. I have a large collection plus borrow them from the library.

Currently I am listening to "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen.
I hope you like it. I loved the book.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B
I just finished WINTER GARDEN by Kristin Hannah. It was an excellent novel. I love to read and I have to be careful, if I have a novel I am really enjoying, then reading is the only thing I want to do. I do frequent the public library...as a matter of fact, for many years I was on the board of trustees. I am considering buying myself a Nook because when I cannot get a book at the library when I want to read it, I will often just go to the bookstore and buy it. Now I have too many books and not enough space for them.
I found myself with tons of books also. And I finally thought, books are meant to be read. So I keep the ones that I really love, and donate the rest. I feel good that they are out in the world being read by someone else. Took me years to come to be able to part with my books though. And I really don't hold on too many.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:47 PM

I just read that one too with a book club I am in but missed the discussion. It is so good and a page turner.

I just finished "The Help" I loved it too. I read it in one day.[/quote]
Old 06-15-2010, 05:03 PM

I enjoy the serieses (is that a word), agree Robin Carr is great, Fern Michaels, we all need some feel good sometimes,
and some authors seem to hit it everytime.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:43 PM

I've read all of Greg Iles books and loved them all. Most of Stephen King, especially The Dark Tower series and The Stand, John Grisham, Pat Conroy, Dan Brown, ALL of Dean R. Koontz. Also enjoy Ken Follett - The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End; Nora Roberts and Fern Michaels. Hard to find now, but I loved Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, James Michener, Herman Wouk, James Clavell, Robert Ludlum. Oh, and I'm 61 and I've read all Stephanie Meyer's Twilight books (and cried like a baby through the last part of The Host) and the Harry Potter series!! And I agree that the Lord of the Rings series is great.

Now I'll be looking for some of the authors ya'll have mentioned. Thanks for this thread. It is always good to get new ideas.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:00 PM

I am reading The Help right now. But I also enjoy Sandra Dallas's books. Some of my favorites are Prayers for Sale and The Persian Pickle Club. Also like The Secret lives of Bees.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:16 PM

I LOVE to read. Even more than quilt! I usually have 2-3 different books going at any one time. Drives DH crazy. I've read and reread the Harry Potter series about 8 times. Also love Jan Karon's books. Like Jodi Picoult, Lisa See, Twilight Series, Water for Elephants, Secret Life of Bees, Autobiography of Santa Claus, Gone withthe Wind, The Hobbit, Lord of the Ring, Stephen King, and just about anything else I can get my paws on!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:23 PM

Here in BC, we have THE BEST library system. I not only have a library card to my local library, I have a library card called the BCOne Card. I can take it to any library in the province, borrow up to 5 books and return them to any library in the province. So, as I travel all over the place, I'm always searching out libraries and carrying books around. If you visit in enough different places, that's a lot of books! I love how each library is unique and the collections vary. There are some I visit regularly on holiday and am reading my way through series available at them. I supposed I could order them to my home library, but it's kind of fun knowing they are there waiting for the next holiday.

Two authors I've recently discovered are Phillip Gulley and Angela Hunt. Gulley is hilarious and Hunt is a Christian version of Jody Picoult.
For all time re-readability, I like Rosamunde Pilcher.
For thinking, Jared Diamond (Guns, Germs and Steel) is a fabulous author.

I'm not a genre reader, and am willing to try just about anything put into my hands. I didn't get into Water for Elephants, though, so will now give it a try.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:31 PM

I just finished "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. I really liked it. I didn't know anything about Afghanistan other that what is presented to us on the news.

I also just finished "Little Earthquakes" by Jennifer Weiner. It was a quick read (chick lit). I liked it fine.

I just started "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver. It's good so far, but I'm only about 25 pages in.

One of my goals in life is to read a biography of each and every president of the United States. I've got a long way to go! They tend to be very, very long.

I like to get books at Goodwill. They're usually $.99. I got four brand new (current) books that have never been read the last time I was there!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 PM

I take my Special daughter to the library every week. She likes to check movies out, and they have a 1 week rental period. She also checks out lots of books even though she can't read, and variety is the spice of life so we take those back and get more weekly, too.

I recently finished a book by MC Beaton - an Agatha Raisin mystery. The character reminded me a bit of Hyacinth on "Keeping up Appearances" from PBS. I picked up a book written by Jimmy Buffett called A Salty Piece of Land. I got it at a garage sale. David Baldacci is very good, and I also like Dennis LeHane (Shutter Island). Anything mystery goes in my library book bag. I also like to look at all the new release non-fiction books. I've found interesting books there, but mostly cookbooks!

My DH is not a reader and he can't understand why I like it so much. My daughter and I dragged him to the library a couple of weeks ago and he sat down and read the newspaper!