Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat >

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Old 06-16-2010, 06:04 AM

My book club just read "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova. It was a fantastic book for discussion and we did just that. She is a new author and I am looking forward to reading more of her books. The topic was very disturbing, mainly because the character is around the same age as the 8 in our group (50)and at the same phase in her life as we are when she develops early onset Alzheimers.
I tend to buy my books, I love to pick them out, pay for them and OWN them! I know, weird, but I do love books. Also, our local library is sterile and cold, very modern. I didn't like it as a kid and I really don't like it as an adult.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 AM

I'm glad this thread got started for two reasons: First, I wanted to share with you all that I just got hired as Library Page at my local library. I'm so excited! I start today (in 2 hours...yikes).
I love to read and love the library so I think it's going to be a perfect fit. And the second reason is it's great to get recommendations for books, this thread has a great list! I've bookmarked it so I can check back often.

I just read "The Last Town on Earth" by Thomas Mullen. Very interesting book based on the 1918 Flu Epidemic. My DH is reading it now.

Wish me luck on my new job! :) :)
Old 06-16-2010, 06:13 AM

I read "The Help". It was excellent.

Also I read 2 by Barbara Delinsky. "Not My Daughter"- a High School Principal's daughter forms a pregnancy pact with her 3 best friends in a small town. "The Secret Between Us"- a teenager learning to drive hits a jogger; the mother switches places and says she was driving. Delinsky (at least in those 2 books) is a very Jodi Picoult-ish style writer. They were both very good.

Jodi Picoult's House Rules is good. Young adult with autism that is fascinated by crime scenes is accused of murdering his tutor.

Any of the Big Stone Gap books by Adriana Trigiani are wonderful!

These are all deviations from my usual myster/murder/legal/psychological/suspense/thrillers. LOL

I go the library but also have a kindle.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:23 AM

LOVED, LOVED "The Help"!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by crleslie
My book club just read "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova. It was a fantastic book for discussion and we did just that. She is a new author and I am looking forward to reading more of her books. The topic was very disturbing, mainly because the character is around the same age as the 8 in our group (50)and at the same phase in her life as we are when she develops early onset Alzheimers.
I tend to buy my books, I love to pick them out, pay for them and OWN them! I know, weird, but I do love books. Also, our local library is sterile and cold, very modern. I didn't like it as a kid and I really don't like it as an adult.
Oh yes I liked Still Alice also...sad but good story
I am too much of a neat nick I guess...don't like things around once I am finished with them like paper back books and am lucky to have such a warm and inviting library so close to my home..but I know many many many love to have the books..it always amazed me just how many dozens and dozens and dozens I see at garage sales for $.50 each or less...nice deals for those who want them..
Old 06-16-2010, 06:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sarahbelle
I read "The Help". It was excellent.

Also I read 2 by Barbara Delinsky. "Not My Daughter"- a High School Principal's daughter forms a pregnancy pact with her 3 best friends in a small town. "The Secret Between Us"- a teenager learning to drive hits a jogger; the mother switches places and says she was driving. Delinsky (at least in those 2 books) is a very Jodi Picoult-ish style writer. They were both very good.

Jodi Picoult's House Rules is good. Young adult with autism that is fascinated by crime scenes is accused of murdering his tutor.

Any of the Big Stone Gap books by Adriana Trigiani are wonderful!

These are all deviations from my usual myster/murder/legal/psychological/suspense/thrillers. LOL

I go the library but also have a kindle.
I liked the Secret Between Us also...makes you think ...
Old 06-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dancing Needle
I'm glad this thread got started for two reasons: First, I wanted to share with you all that I just got hired as Library Page at my local library. I'm so excited! I start today (in 2 hours...yikes).
I love to read and love the library so I think it's going to be a perfect fit. And the second reason is it's great to get recommendations for books, this thread has a great list! I've bookmarked it so I can check back often.

I just read "The Last Town on Earth" by Thomas Mullen. Very interesting book based on the 1918 Flu Epidemic. My DH is reading it now.

Wish me luck on my new job! :) :)
What will you be doing exactly? Sounds like it would be fu to be at the library so much...
I know the 4 librarians I am very friendly with at my library listen to books constantly..only way they can get thru as many as they need to and still take care of their home, families and job...
Old 06-16-2010, 07:23 AM

I do the same thing. I used to just keep going hoping the book would get better, but not anymore. There are way too many good books out there to waste time on one that doesn't grab or move you right out of the box.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 AM

The book I am recommending to everyone - I've even passed my own copy around - is "The Help." It is about black domestics in the South in the 60's. While we still have a long way to go with race relations, it show how far we have come. In fact my youngest daughter thought it was all fiction - that the feelings were never like the book showed. Great characters and great story.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:47 AM

Sounds like a good one