Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
acurate cutting >

acurate cutting

acurate cutting

Old 06-16-2010, 05:37 AM

Are you using the cutting mat as your ruler? They are not accurate. Line up the edges square against one ruler and measure and cut with another - make sure you use the same ruler for all the cutting in a project. Cut no more than 4 layers. Take your time, have a nice bright light, maybe go up a notch on your reading glasses if you use them. I have reading glasses and then I have sewing glasses!
Old 06-16-2010, 06:07 AM

I had the same problem when I started. Then I discovered my rotary cutter was set up for a left handed person...I'm right handed!!! If you're right handed, the blade should be on the left side and vice versa. Yes, the instructions probably told me that, but you know............... :mrgreen:
Old 06-16-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I had the same problem when I started. Then I discovered my rotary cutter was set up for a left handed person...I'm right handed!!! If you're right handed, the blade should be on the left side and vice versa. Yes, the instructions probably told me that, but you know............... :mrgreen:
Daaaaaaaaaaa to me!!!!! I didn't know what I was supposed to use the right side for, I just knew I thought I needed to see the blade so I put it on the left side. Guess I lucked out because I am right handed. I have also wondered if the blades have a 'front' and 'back' side or does it make no difference in the cut it gives?/Regards, Dorothy
Old 06-16-2010, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

One of the first classes I took for quilting was how to rotary cut.

1. When rotary cutting strips, never cut more strips then the width of the strip without re squaring up the fabric. For example: Cutting eight 2 1/2" strips, after every two cuts, re square up your fabric.
2. When lining the ruler measurement line to the fabric keeping the full width of the measurement line on the fabric for every cut will eliminate the need for using a scant seam allowance.
3. Fabric needs to be pressed and if folded, the open fold should be perfectly aligned to each other like a seam.
We practiced cutting by drawing lines on the fabric and cutting leaving the line on the fabric. This way we could see where our cutting was veering off or where our ruler was moving. I still draw line on fabric when I'm having an off cutting day. I use the Gypsy Gripper on most of my rulers. It's a must for the long ones. One slip of the ruler can waste a lot of fabric.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:54 AM

One more tip...be sure your blade is sharp. You should change the blade after every bed sized quilt, or after 2 small quilts. A dull blade can be a big problem.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:09 AM

Thank you all for your replies, I will try everything and let you know how I get on.
Lesleyb
Old 06-16-2010, 08:49 AM

Great tips, thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

I bought invisigrip to put on the back of my rulers, it really helps with keeping the rulers in place. Joann's carries it and the 40% off coupon makes it very affordable :D:D:D
Old 06-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Google Goddess

also lots of videos on you tube to watch about cutting fabrics accurately
Old 06-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

When you cut, do you by chance support the ruler in the middle and cut the entire length? If so, you may want to change your approach: Hold the ruler at the end, start cutting - then walk your fingers up the ruler and only cut up to the point where you are strongly supporting the fabric. Also, when you find that you are off, have you measured how much and if the difference is consistent?

It may also be how you align the ruler. Is the guideline on the edge of the fabric or off the edge?

One of the ways that I control my cuts is to cut a multiple size. Example: If I want 4 strips @ 2.5" I cut a piece that is 10" wide (4x2.5) Then I know that I can cut that piece down into my 4 subsections. I seem to have less waste when I do that.