Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat >

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Old 06-16-2010, 02:25 PM

Catherine Coulter, Nora Roberts, Debbie Macomber,Mariah Stewart, Carla Neggers and so many more. I read all the time. Always have a book or several waiting.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:27 PM

I have to confess. The description of the Miss Julia book came from our library's website!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Sue Fish
Originally Posted by Dancing Needle
I'm glad this thread got started for two reasons: First, I wanted to share with you all that I just got hired as Library Page at my local library. I'm so excited! I start today (in 2 hours...yikes).
I love to read and love the library so I think it's going to be a perfect fit. And the second reason is it's great to get recommendations for books, this thread has a great list! I've bookmarked it so I can check back often.

I just read "The Last Town on Earth" by Thomas Mullen. Very interesting book based on the 1918 Flu Epidemic. My DH is reading it now.

Wish me luck on my new job! :) :)
What will you be doing exactly? Sounds like it would be fu to be at the library so much...
I know the 4 librarians I am very friendly with at my library listen to books constantly..only way they can get thru as many as they need to and still take care of their home, families and job...
Basically I'll be sorting and shelving library material (books, magazines, newspapers, etc), pulling and searching for material, help the library patrons, keep the shelves neat and tidy, stuff like that. Today was basically orientation at the branch, and tomorrow orientation and the regional center. I can't wait to get my hands on the books. Everyone there is so nice, I think it will be like working with family once I get settled in.

:)
Old 06-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

I'm glad this thread got started for two reasons: First, I wanted to share with you all that I just got hired as Library Page at my local library. I'm so excited! I start today (in 2 hours...yikes).
I love to read and love the library so I think it's going to be a perfect fit. And the second reason is it's great to get recommendations for books, this thread has a great list! I've bookmarked it so I can check back often.

I just read "The Last Town on Earth" by Thomas Mullen. Very interesting book based on the 1918 Flu Epidemic. My DH is reading it now.

What will you be doing exactly? Sounds like it would be fu to be at the library so much...
I know the 4 librarians I am very friendly with at my library listen to books constantly..only way they can get thru as many as they need to and still take care of their home, families and job...
Basically I'll be sorting and shelving library material (books, magazines, newspapers, etc), pulling and searching for material, help the library patrons, keep the shelves neat and tidy, stuff like that. Today was basically orientation at the branch, and tomorrow orientation and the regional center. I can't wait to get my hands on the books. Everyone there is so nice, I think it will be like working with family once I get settled in.

Well that is wonderful...I know you will enjoy it....have fun!
Old 06-16-2010, 03:36 PM

I read mostly the James Patterson books and now have them on the Kindle on my new iPhone. when I moved about 3 1/2 yrs ago my children had to do most of the work, was in a cast for a broken foot and could not do any weight baring on it. Anyway, they boxed my books up in boxes, about 10 packing boxes and gave them away. True I had read all but maybe I wanted to reread some. Had a great Shakespeare collection, his plays, full length in 4 books.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:59 PM

I'm looking for a long thick paged series to read, sink into, escape to this summer... historical fiction is my favorite. What would you suggest?
-------------------------------
My very favorite is an old series by Manning Coles, about Tommy Hambleton,
whom I fell in love with many years ago. These were written during or shortly
after WW2, about an English man who joins the British secret service, and does
a lot of time in Germany after getting amnesia, and thinks he is a German. He
has a chance to kill Hitler, thinks he is the nephew of an old German woman he
takes care of, is smart, inventive and funny in parts. The authors did work with
British intelligence at that time, so it does have a sense of reality. And he/they
also wrote a series of ghost stories, with two charming men who came back,
doing things that prove funny as well as interesting.

I read these over and over, since some of the time our own news is just too brutal at times to worry about.

And then there's the Donna Andrews series, I'm already signed up for her new one coming out next month, Stork Raving Mad.

And I'm one of the most frequent visitors to our library, love it dearly. Plus,
it has a large room with used books that range from about 10 cents to hard
backs that are never over 2 dollars!!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:00 PM

Lucky you!! I have tried to get a job at our library, but they are in such serious financial straits, they keep reducing the hours they are open, so no new hiring. I am always surprised how few people use the library.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:05 PM

Hello. My favorite author? Anne Carroll George, without a doubt. She wrote Southern Sisters Mysteries series. Regretfully, she has passed away.
I only read mysteries. Just finished Cold Blood by Theresa Monsouri. And yes! I love the library!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:07 PM

I have books in darned near every room in my house, and yes,
I can keep track of what I'm reading.
Again I'm re-reading Anne McCaffrey's books, from the first ones onwards.
Now on the fabulous Pern ones, then on to a big one, Planet Pirates.
She has such a fabulous talent for SF, but I don't like and will not buy any
more done by or with her son, who insists on killing off half the planet of Pern,
which I've grown to love for decades!! So there!!

Then there's the Patrick McManus series of truly funny camping and fishing
books, men and women both love these! I read so fast and so much that I
go through books at a furious rate, but only keep the ones I want to read over.
I give them to friends and family, and when they lock the doors when they see
me coming, I drop them off at the Library's book box.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:10 PM

I just thought of some more of my favorites, A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton. She wrote The book of Ruth also, it was good but, A Map of the World was sooo good. A hard subject, but her writing in it was just beautiful. I've been too chicken to read Poisenwood Bible, but Prodigal Summer by Kingsolver was really good. Rosemunde Pilcher's The Shell Seekers, I loved, read it decades ago, but have also listened to it and I still enjoy it. Thank you everyone for this, I love recomendations for books.