Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat >

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Old 06-16-2010, 04:13 PM

I love the Benni Harper series also!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:22 PM

This is a wonderful thread, so fun to know what everyone likes to read.
I enjoy Dean Koontz, especially his ODD THOMAS series. Such a sweet character.
I recently read DOG BOY by Eva Hornung. "A four-year-old boy named Romochka is abandoned by his mother and uncle and left to fend for himself on the streets of Moscow, with uncounted millions of homeless children and adults. He follows a stray dog to its home in a deserted church celler. There he joins Mamochka, the mother of the pack, and six other dogs and slowly he forgets his human attributes to survive two fiercely cold winters. Romochka attracts the attention of local police, street urchins, and finally, scientists."
This was an amazing and very touching story. I usually read while I eat, may want to rethink doing that with this book.
Two of my all time favs are Stephen King's, THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON, and THE GRASS HARP, by Truman Capote.
Both these are wonderful stories that I have reread several times.
And anything by Laura Kinsale. Historical romances with flawed heroes resourceful heroines.
I also read Andrew Vachss but I sometimes need a mental health break after one of his. Very intense and dark. But intellegent and touching.
I could go on forever as I love to read and read all different kinds of stories.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:29 PM

I use the library regularly. I used to collect lots of books and finally decided that the library takes such good care of "my" collection that I would just pretty much leave it up to them. We have an author's club you can join and select the authors that you like. When that author comes out with a new book you are automatically on the list to be notified when it is being held for you.
Also, here in Missouri, if you want a book that is not available in your county's system, the local library will borrow it from another site somewhere in the state and notify you when it is available for pick up at your local branch. I have even requested books that were nowhere in the state and they purchased a copy for me to borrow. I love our library.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:31 PM

Marie Bostwick has some great books also. They are quilt related stories. I am on her second and have already purchased her third. I met her recently at a LQS and she is so nice. Carol
Old 06-16-2010, 04:54 PM

I just finished reading Same Kind of Difference as Me and laughed and cried through several chapters also. This is not the type of book I normally read, although I must admit I read anything except science fiction, but lean towards mysteries. I try to read 1 - 2 books a week and use our local library frequently. I am a member of Friends of the Library, work our monthly breakfast, and our yearly book sale. We also have a personal library of approximately 4,000 books in our home. I can't remember ever not having my nose in a book.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by no1jan
I have difficulty reading because of my eyes, but I love listening to audio tapes. I have a large collection plus borrow them from the library.

Currently I am listening to "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen.
I finished reading "Water for Elephants" a few weeks ago; it was a Christmas gift from a niece. Great book.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 PM

I'm reading Fox's Earth, but for the life of me I can't think of who wrote it. I'm just starting but it sounds interesting so far. I belong to my local library.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
I love to read but you ladies are shaming me. I love trashy true crime novels, esp by Ann Rule. I guess they are my "guilty pleasure". I got hooked on Ann Rule when she wrote "The Stranger Beside Me" about Ted Bundy. She was a police officer, detective, etc., yet worked side by side with him for years while the killings were going on. Just proves you can't judge a person by his appearance. I read 3-4 books per week; get most of them from co-workers and thrift shop. Don't belong to library but did when I was in school.
Oh thank you! I love Ann Rule and was wondering who all those other authors were. I also read Kathy Reich, Linda Fairstein, Lisa Scottalini, J D Robb and then there is Max Lucado (a minister in the South), Scott Hahn (spirituality) . NO Stephen King! He scares me.I am an eclectic reader and will give most fiction a try. Will be checking out these authors that you all are reading. And yes I belong to my local library.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:17 PM

Love my library!
Just finished Remember by Karen Kingsbury. Wonderful book. ;)
Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ForestHobbit
Originally Posted by janRN
I love to read but you ladies are shaming me. I love trashy true crime novels, esp by Ann Rule. I guess they are my "guilty pleasure". I got hooked on Ann Rule when she wrote "The Stranger Beside Me" about Ted Bundy. She was a police officer, detective, etc., yet worked side by side with him for years while the killings were going on. Just proves you can't judge a person by his appearance. I read 3-4 books per week; get most of them from co-workers and thrift shop. Don't belong to library but did when I was in school.
Oh thank you! I love Ann Rule and was wondering who all those other authors were. I also read Kathy Reich, Linda Fairstein, Lisa Scottalini, J D Robb and then there is Max Lucado (a minister in the South), Scott Hahn (spirituality) . NO Stephen King! He scares me.I am an eclectic reader and will give most fiction a try. Will be checking out these authors that you all are reading. And yes I belong to my local library.
I like Kathy Reich, Lisa Scottolonie too. And MaxLucado is the best. Love his book"It's Not About Me!"