Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat >

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Book Readers (What books are you reading) Let's Chit Chat

Old 06-16-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by barnbum
I'm looking for a long thick paged series to read, sink into, escape to this summer... historical fiction is my favorite. What would you suggest?
Ken Follet has a series of books, based on historical fact, that begin with a story set in the 1100s... "Pillars of the Earth" which is about 1000 pages. He recently came out with a sequel to it which is also nice and thick!
I just couldn't get into this one. Received as a gift and exchanged it at B & N.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dancing Needle
Originally Posted by Sue Fish
Originally Posted by Dancing Needle
I'm glad this thread got started for two reasons: First, I wanted to share with you all that I just got hired as Library Page at my local library. I'm so excited! I start today (in 2 hours...yikes).
I love to read and love the library so I think it's going to be a perfect fit. And the second reason is it's great to get recommendations for books, this thread has a great list! I've bookmarked it so I can check back often.

I just read "The Last Town on Earth" by Thomas Mullen. Very interesting book based on the 1918 Flu Epidemic. My DH is reading it now.

Wish me luck on my new job! :) :)
What will you be doing exactly? Sounds like it would be fu to be at the library so much...
I know the 4 librarians I am very friendly with at my library listen to books constantly..only way they can get thru as many as they need to and still take care of their home, families and job...
Basically I'll be sorting and shelving library material (books, magazines, newspapers, etc), pulling and searching for material, help the library patrons, keep the shelves neat and tidy, stuff like that. Today was basically orientation at the branch, and tomorrow orientation and the regional center. I can't wait to get my hands on the books. Everyone there is so nice, I think it will be like working with family once I get settled in.

:)
Great for you! Now I want to read the flu pandemic book! Got my interest.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:09 PM

I love mysteriesby
James Patterson, David Baldacci,
and some Stephen King.
Do not like mushy love stories.
JBJ137 in SC
Old 06-16-2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by granniebj
I'm reading Fox's Earth, but for the life of me I can't think of who wrote it. I'm just starting but it sounds interesting so far. I belong to my local library.
I think its an Anne RIvers Siddon. If I wasn't so lazy I would go in the other room and dig it out to check.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:33 PM

When I need to laugh, I read David Sedaris. He is an acquaintance of my brother, and one of the funniest people ever. He can make me laugh out loud until I cry.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:00 PM

Went to a very large used book store here and came home with a bunch of Fern Michaels books - almost all of the sisterhood series and several more Nora Roberts. I LOVE this place. It is McKay's Used Books and has thousands and thousands of books, novels in mostly paperback, in every subject you can imagine. They also have CDs and books on CD. I think they also have movies on everything from VHS to DVD. The greatest thing is you can get a recent paperback that sold for $10 for $3, read it and then take it back for half credit towards another book. Now I need to go back and look for some of the books mentioned here. Keep the ideas coming. I'm also going to check into the Nook and Kindle.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:25 PM

My favorite authors are: Beverly Lewis, Cindy Woodsmall, Amy Clipston, Wanda Brunstetter, BJ Hoff, Beth Wiseman - All Amish fiction writers.
Jodi Picoult, James Patterson, Katherine Woodwiss, Karen Kingsbury, Janet Oke,Jennifer Chiaverini, "Left Behind" Series by Tim Lehaye & Jerry B Jenkins. Harry Potter series, Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer.
Just finished "Look Again" by Lisa Scottoline and starting "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers.
I loved "Gone with The Wind" by Margaret Mitchell and the sequel "Scarlett" by Alexandra Ripley
If you want a very good non-fiction book try "Rain of Gold" by Victor Villasenor. This book is about the Mexican Revolution and two prominent families who flee Mexico to the USA. It reveals the trials, sorrow and struggles they endure to raise families in US.
John Jakes is my all time favorite historical novel writer. He wrote "The Kent Family Chronicles"
I worked as an assistant manager in a national bookstore for 7 1/2 years until the powers that be decided to close the store. It was a sad day when we walked out those doors for the last time. Now I frequent other stores to get my fix of books...LOL
Old 06-17-2010, 04:38 AM

I like to read murder mysteries. I just read a book I think it was called The Last Southern Lady, that was a very good book on the civil war.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:39 AM

Where do you buy Nook? I've never heard of it. I would certainly be interested.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:41 AM

If you want to laugh, try the Sweet Potato Queen. I like the book The Giver by Lois Lowry. I know it is a ya book, but it is good. Newbery winner.