Are you retired?

Old 06-18-2010, 10:50 AM

Retired after 40 years of nurning. Turned 65 yesterday.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:51 AM

Retired after 40 years of nurning. Turned 65 yesterday.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:09 PM

I had to quit work early at age 53 due to a back injury. Miss work alot but I really miss not being able to do all the other things I enjoyed doing. Like working in the yard.
Life is good though.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:08 PM

I had to retire on disability in 1997. I worked a few short part-time jobs, a few days a week. Then I lost my job a year ago February. At that time I also had a serious car accident. My fault. Fortunately I was the only one hurt. I mean that I'm glad that I didn't hurt anyone else. But due to only having disability income I can't afford to replace the car. At first not working was very hard. But thank God I have truly learned to enjoy it. Don't have much $ but I'm still around. Also have great family within 30 minutes of me. And have some really great friends close by. And I still can save a little for fabric, yarn, etc. Also am going to start making blankets for the Linus Projuect. Will be a blessing to them and a bigger blessing to me because they can provide the materials and I can keep my hands busy.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:14 PM

Dear husband retired Mar 03 (34 yrs with company). I retired Mar 05 (35 yrs with same company). Way too little time with him. He passed away... 62 yrs old... Apr 2008. So I say to everyone.... get rid of your bills and retire as early as possible. You can live on a lot less than you think. Life is too short to take it for granted. Live each day to it's fullest. Tell your family and friends often how much you love them. God Bless everyone of you.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:03 PM

We've been retired 5 years now and we keep a really nice schedule. Besides quilting my dh and I buy a home each year that has gone back to the bank and that type of thing. We fix them up and resell them. We are waiting on the closing for the 5th home. So the work will really begin soon and I'll need lots of relaxing quilting!
Old 06-18-2010, 04:09 PM

No, just tired.

Once I finish putting kids through college, I may entertain the possibility.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:20 PM

Retired 8 years ago when a special needs grandson was born. My daughter has two other sons and so I helped her with them and also spent many hours at the hospital so she had time with husband and sons. My Mom was stricken with alzheimers and I cared for her until her death 3 years ago. Special grandson died 2 years ago. Losing both of them within 10 months was very difficult but thanks to quilting I think I have made it through. Now I keep my 18 mo old greatgrandson. He is a joy. I enjoy my large, loud, loving family and missing those years of 8 to 5 never enters my head.

Growing old does have its compensations!
Old 06-18-2010, 04:45 PM

I have 14 years left. In the mean time it's weekend quilting for me.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:55 PM

i retired six months ago due to declining health, but life is good. The flexible schedule is wonderful. I am more relaxed and can spread out chores so doing a little each day gives me incentive to try something. Health is up and down, but my DH is very understanding. He has been retired for several years. We share cooking and laundry and truly enjoy being with each other. I am blessed!

Since I worked with the public for so many years, I do miss contact with people I used to see daily or weekly. It is a pleasure to have someone call my name and come up to me in a store and give me a hug. :-) It still seems strange that I am in retirement, rather than continuing to plan for my career and education of my children.

Grandchildren are special and our travels have been to see them in their own homes without the stress of using limited vacation days. It is so much fun to take care of the children in their own environment when the opportunity arises.

Our DDIL says she doesn't want us to go home when we do visit. Of course, we do make it a point to not intrude on their lives. We've always done this and my sons know that they can ask for help without getting the third degree of questioning. We respect each other's privacy.