Are you retired?

Old 06-18-2010, 05:47 PM

I am semi retired from teaching children with visual impairments. After 32 years, I thought I would retire. Then a near by district called me that needed a Braille teacher and I was hooked again! I absolutely LOVE teaching Braille and the position is part time. How good can it get!!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pat and pups
I'm a retired 6th grade teacher which is why I twitch.
I twitch
I too am a former teacher, though I quit before I had enough years in to retire and get my full teacher's retirment benefits.
I love quilting and which I had quit sooner.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:13 PM

I am going to retire Sept 1st of this year (I can't wait
Old 06-18-2010, 06:27 PM

Hi,
I retired almost 6 years to help my daughter with her sons while her husband was in Iraq for a year. He's home now and my husband has now retired. So I'am enjoying my flower garden and i have join a small quilting group. I'am learning how to machine quilt. My husband and I go camping and do crafts together.. It's been great...
Old 06-18-2010, 07:34 PM

Retired in 04 if you can call it that. I am raising my 17 yr old & 2 grandsons.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 PM

Lost my job at the end of 1994 when the company sold (I was secretary to the seller). While I collected unemployment insurance for the next 6 months, I did the required job hunting, but lacked any enthusiasm for it. Spent the next few years playing my favorite music loudly while dancing through the house doing my housework; also got interested in quilting in the late '90's. When DH retired toward the end of 1998, there was no more music and dancing throughout the house, but still housework to do. Now, he is usually housebound, disabled with about 100 serious health issues and I am just plain tired. I have many more things I want to do than I have energy with which to do them. Nevertheless, we plod along o.k. and welcome each new day.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

I retired June 2nd of this year, I want to make lots of quilts, I have lots of fabrics. I finished 1 quilt and made another, no too bad, I don't plan on going as strong as I did before retirement. Hubby still works, he has no hobbies and enjoys working.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:34 PM

How fun it is to read about those who have retired.. I guess I'm retired.. my hubby is and I'm not working nor looking for work, I have more than enough to do right around here, thanks!

The thing I think is so funny is that for the first 40 years we were married we faithfully got up no later than 6:30am.. then DH retired and now we're never up before 8:30.. how did that happen? You'd think 40 years of early rising would stick.. but it didn't.

I love many things about this time of life.. but I am still adjusting to having my beloved in the house and asking questions all day, every day. I never seem to get much done because he is always wanting me to find this or hold that or come look at something. I still miss the days when he went to work and I got to stay home.. ahhh, well, Life is good. I'll just grow where I'm planted.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:03 PM

I am now retired due to being laid off last July. I can collect Social Security and my husband works so it is working out. Wake up every morning and still cant believe I dont have to go to work today!

Like some others starting to quilt and do some volunteer work :) .
Old 06-18-2010, 10:36 PM

Just a trivia p.s. to my earlier response. It's been 15-1/2 years since I worked and for the first 10+ years [post "retirement"] I had frequent nightmares that I was back at work. I still have them occasionally. And I'm not exaggerating when I call them nightmares. The whole physical setup is different each time, but my dream indicated it was the same company; some of the former co-workers were there, also slightly altered in appearance. Lots of people I worked with are long dead but still show up in my nightmares alive and well at "work".