Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wholecloth Quilters >

Wholecloth Quilters

Wholecloth Quilters

Old 06-21-2010, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
Originally Posted by purplemem
How long does it take you to make a whole top, queen sized? I have a nephew that would like one, but I don't think he knows what he's asking...
It's not easy to say, it depends of the patterns and how densely the quilt is quilted. I am marking the patterns "as you go"... that means I put the layers together first and than mark a few patterns. The next step is to quilt these patterns and than I go on with marking.
For some of my quilts I needed about 600 hours and I made one in 1000 hours. You see, it is very time consuming! :-)
Do you hand quilt or machine quilt yours. Either way they were fascinating :thumbup:

I have some patriotic fabric which has a "quilt pattern" on it. I was actually thinking about quilting as a whole piece.

:)
Old 06-21-2010, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by no1jan
Do you hand quilt or machine quilt yours. Either way they were fascinating :thumbup:
I am an avid hand quilter... I even piece the lengths of fabric for my quilts together by hand.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:33 AM

And you do BEAUTIFUL work!!!! I know I'm working on an applique right now and it'll be hand quilted. A couple of pieced tops - not sure yet. I can't wait for the show in Manchester to see your quilt!!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:34 AM

I sent the quilt today to the Germany Coordinator. She will collect all the quilts and send them to US. We have to be patient for a few weeks...!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

i have done a couple whole cloth quilts, but i machine quilted them, it was great fun to (practice) on a blank canvas! they turned out fabulous and everyone wanted the queen size one...it landed on my bed!:)
the other one was small and i encorporated it into a larger pieced quilt later. so i guess that one doesn't count.
then queen size one took me about a week to machine quilt (maybe 5-30 hours i guess)
i am looking forward to starting another one, have been envisioning it for a while but have a lot of 'catching-up' to do before i can start something like that again.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

i forgot, i did a throw size one that i drew the Mackinaw bridge on (big) then put a lighthouse and a big boat in the water...it is really an awesome picture (about 60"x75") it was a special gift for a special uncle. he took it to florida with him...and no, i do not have pictures...i really am trying to get better about that......
Old 06-21-2010, 04:40 AM

There are a few quilters who are known for wholecloth quilting, but very few who exclusively do wholecloth.

There are several quilters who long arm, Irene Bluhm's name comes to mind. She does fabulous quilting then uses colored pencils. There is also a French couple who either paint or dye the top, then add quilting. Their quilts usually compete as wholecloths and they win top awards at the Houston quilt show and Paducah.

Diane Gaudynski has done many wholecloth quilts, but even her pieced tops qualify to me - the quilting she does on her domestic sewing machine is meant to shine.

I'm not sure if she does wholecloth exclusively, but Jacqui Harvey from the UK has done a number of wholecloth quilts by hand, as has Sandy Lush. And there's a woman in Houston named Hazel Canny whose wholecloth quilts regularly win hand quilting prizes at the International Quilt Festival.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:48 AM

I just recently picked up a whole cloth quilt top (preprinted) at a quilt store on a recent trip. I've been wanting to do one for a long time but they are hard to find at a reasonable price. This one is queen and even has the binding for it included.

I bought a printed backing fabric for it so it can be reversible. I am going to handquilt it.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
This is a question that interests me personally a lot: have you ever heard about about a quilter who only does wholecloth quilts? No patchwork, no appliqué... only wholecloth?

It seems to be a lost species....
I bought a beautiful stamped one many years ago called something like Mother's Quilt. (before my Mom died in the late 80s)
It's somewhere in my basement along with other things I've never gotten to. And now never will, since I no longer handquilt.

I know they're still sold, as I saw some at a show within the last couple of years. Don't know, however, if anyone's buying them.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:55 AM

I was at the Minnesota Quilt Show on Friday and Irena Bluhm was one of the vendors. She does fabulous whole cloth quilts that she then uses colored pencils and textile medium to make it permanent. She had just gorgeous quilts on display!

Here is a link to her website:

http://site.irenabluhmscreations.com/index.html