Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting is my Therapy!!   How about you!   Enjoy! >

Quilting is my Therapy!! How about you! Enjoy!

Quilting is my Therapy!! How about you! Enjoy!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:51 PM

I hate for it to be too quiet -- I'll get distracted by my thoughts of school & planning & kids -- I usually have the computer on with iTunes or hulu running -- nothing exciting.

I learned the hard way to not watch Greys Anatomy while quilting -- I literally sat for 30 minutes with the same piece of fabric in my hand while I was rivited to the computer screen. I do watch old episodes though.

Quilting isn't so much therapy as an escape for me -- I'll do whatever it takes to stay in that la-la land!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:52 PM

Classic rock playing in the background and the dogs panting at me feet. Ahhhhh.....now that is peace and quiet!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:57 AM

At night after I get home from work and supper is over, I like to hand quilting or some kind of hand work. It makes me escape from the day I just had and block out my husband's snoring, well sort of!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:45 AM

Years ago my mother told me that hand work (crocheting, knitting, etc) were the calming "pills" of yesterday. Today, I am an avid believer in this as it helps me when I am ill, helped me through the days of my late husband's illness and his passing. I know that when I busy myself with a project I am completely away from all negative feelings and thoughts. So, pass it on "good thoughts" to all.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:56 AM

I tried that, but the sound of running water kept me going to another room if you know what I mean

Originally Posted by Dianne Lenore
My daughter gave me a sound spa for Christmas last year. I like to turn it on and listen to birds sing or hear the ocean waves as I sew. It is calming and makes any difficut sewing easier.
:oops: \
Old 06-22-2010, 05:11 AM

I need something in the backgroud to break the silence. I have tinitus which makes silence deafening. If I'm frame quilting it's music with a beat - Garth Brooks - if it's piecing then - Kenny G. TV is reruns - I can "watch" it in my mind as I listen to the dialog-LOL! The sign on my door reads "Beware - Do Not Disturb! - I'm quilting and my needle's loaded!"
Old 06-22-2010, 05:13 AM

whoops wrong thread!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Connie Merritt
Years ago my mother told me that hand work (crocheting, knitting, etc) were the calming "pills" of yesterday. Today, I am an avid believer in this as it helps me when I am ill, helped me through the days of my late husband's illness and his passing. I know that when I busy myself with a project I am completely away from all negative feelings and thoughts. So, pass it on "good thoughts" to all.
That makes complete sense to me! I am sorry for your loss.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:25 AM

Patterns and kits intimidate me. I do so much better if I choose a block that interests me and go from there. Of course there can be problems in knowing how much fabric to buy etc.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:34 AM

It's the best therapy there is. Sometimes, I play music or have the TV on but other times, I like just the quiet. Sewing is the best way for me to relax.