Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting is my Therapy!!   How about you!   Enjoy! >

Quilting is my Therapy!! How about you! Enjoy!

Quilting is my Therapy!! How about you! Enjoy!

Old 06-22-2010, 05:54 AM

It is my therapy especially now during very tense times in my family. Having a wedding in a month. Having to sell our home. serious drain pipe problems in the basement. income cut by more than a third. a sweet daughter who has to take medicine to stave off depression...yeah! Quilting is my therapy. By God's grace my mom started teaching me to sew when I was 9, however, it was clothing construction. You can fudge a little on that...not with quilting! So I have concentrate, which is good for me. I listen to radio, or television. And have withdrawals when I finish a project! Quilting has been a gift from God.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:01 AM

Qulting bug got me when I made my first lap size quilt. Cost me $ 600.00. I had to buy a sewing machine, 5 years later I am collecting a stash. Have 3 on the go waiting in line to be quilted. Said I won't start a new one until I finish the one I was working on, but heh... sometimes you have to change lanes. Quilting is very addictive, you make new friends who have similar interest and I have found that most quilters also like animals. We all come from different walks of life but share the same passion. Makes us all the same... lots of caring and sharing on the board. Peace
Old 06-22-2010, 06:09 AM

I like all of the above. TV, radio,machine. But there is days that chocolate helps calm the days hectic moments. So I have a very small stash hidden. Some is probably 2 months old.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:11 AM

i love to sew my tops toghther especially if I am trying a new pattern. But sometimes I get carried away and before I know it I have done so many. I have already taken 11 to the quilters. I have been trying to get rid of some my stash so I can go to Whittles or Marshalls and buy enough naterial to do me for awhile.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 AM

Definitely therapy! I can forget everything except the quilt I'm working on! I need sound.... sometimes music, sometimes tv, but not movies or anything too interesting or I get sidetracked watching instead of sewing! Usually, some cooking or home improvement show that I can listen to but not pay much attention to!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:24 AM

When I went on disability I had nothing to do, ssooo I started quilting. It has keep me sane ever since. Sometimes i have on the tv and sometimes not.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:32 AM

Absolutely! When I am feeling down or need a break from the every day things, my quilt room is "for me time". Guys have their "man caves" so I have mine also. I will sometimes have on the TV and many times I listen to books on tape/CD while I am cutting or sewing. Love it! :D :D
Old 06-22-2010, 06:43 AM

I not only do quilting, but I do hand embroidery. I have
a brain that has a tendency to go in twenty different
directions all at the same time. When I need to develop
a plan of action, I pick up either my quilting or my
hand embroidery, and it calms my brain so I can start
making a plan of action, which I then write down and
try to follow. It usually has steps, and after every
step, I pick up my quilting or hand embroidery and do a
little before I move on to the next step. Works for me.
I usually have the TV on, and I'm either watching TV or
one of my DVDs or videos. I do have a lot. I enjoy
movies. Movies and quilting or embroidering and I'm a
happy camper.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:43 AM

With our farm, it seems that I am always busy, but I so enjoy quilting! I have to do it in bits and pieces, but that's just fine. When we're all done for the day, my husband and I like to watch whatever is left of an old movie on TCM, during which I quilt. I may only have 15 minutes, but it's amazing what one can do with that time. I could do more quilting if I didn't look at this site, but this always inspires me and teaches me something new every time I look. Thanks to all for sharing!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:33 AM

I listen to books on tape/CD that I get from the library, while I sew. I love to read, but when I was working all of my reading was spent on professional books or articles. IF I would start to read for pleasure, I'd get hooked and stay up all night to finish. So I disciplined myself to save recreational reading for vacation time. Now I usually have two books going at the same time. A "real" book and one on tape/CD. However, I have to "pause" the book while I'm measuring, reading the pattern, or figuring out what comes next! :roll: :shock: