Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sharpening vs replacing rotary cutter blades >

Sharpening vs replacing rotary cutter blades

Sharpening vs replacing rotary cutter blades

Old 06-25-2010, 04:59 AM

Ladies for mothers day I got the new sharpener from Nancy Notions called the tru cutter. I had one of those cheapes yrs ago, and yes they are not worth the money but this one is like a knife sharpener with a actual stone in it. You just slide the cutter thru the slot and walla. Sharpened. I love it. And like a lot of you, I kept a blade in way to long because of the cost. It will be a switch to have a blade that actually cuts lol. Good luck hope this helps.

Rita
Old 06-25-2010, 05:14 AM
som

i use a sharpener all the time.i dont know the brand ,because i threw the package away,but its blue ,and you have to turn &turn & turn it till you feel like your hand is falling off, i havnt bought a new blade in a year ,and you have to turn it over and do both sides

som
Old 06-25-2010, 07:45 AM

I'll take a new blade.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:16 AM

I recently got a Rotary Blade Sharpener from the Grace Co. I've only used it a couple of times but it seems to prolong the life of the blade.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:30 AM

I recently attended a Nancy's notions sewing weekend. The Olfa rep gave me this hint that worked well - I think. When your blade skips, it's not always the blade; it may be fibers caught in the cuts on your rotary mat. The best way to remove this is to use an art gum eraser and clean the mat. Because my blade was old I did both and cutting is a breeze now. :mrgreen:
Old 06-25-2010, 02:23 PM

I've sent old blades in to L.P.Sharp, [email protected] and gotten very good blades back in return. It's been a while I don't know if they're still in business.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:06 PM

can someone send me a link on how to get into e-bay and where on e-bay do i look for rotary blades, very grateful for any help , thanks......texmexgal
Old 06-26-2010, 04:10 AM

I would also say that a sharpener is a waste of money especially when there are nicks in the blade, but just dull from cutting paper might be different. For that alone it might be worth it, but otherwise definitely not. Blades are expensive, but I try really hard to always cover my blade back up right after each cutting, because if it falls on the open blade you have a nick in it.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:13 AM

I find that the cheapest way to get blades is to wait till JoAnn or Hancocks has some fifty percent off coupons or till the blades are on sale for fifty percent off. I haven't found any online that beat that price.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:06 PM

I tried a friend's shapener and it was a waste of time. I buy the Fiskars Razor edge blades, they have them in the larger and smaller sizes and last longer than the other blades. They are worth the extra dollar. :lol: :thumbup: