Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you put on your BINDING >

How do you put on your BINDING

How do you put on your BINDING

Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by quilt queen 2
I machine stitch to front with mitered corners then sew to back by hand. I find the hand sewing part is relaxing but thats just me
i do the same, except i sew to the back & handstitch on the front... i don't know why.. i like the handstitching on the front.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned

I sew mine to the back, and bring it to the front and machine sew it to the front. God bless. Penny
Old 06-28-2010, 05:00 PM

I would LOVE to be able to do this! How do you get it just right???

--Heidi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32113973@N05/

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
I machine to the front and then fold over to the back, making mitered corners and then machine sew... If I sew it in just the place on the back, it appears in the ditch on the front (which is not seen!)
Old 06-28-2010, 05:06 PM

For most quilts, I machine stitch to the front, fold and glue to the back, mitering the corners, then use a serpentine machine stitch with 100wt thread on the front. Very sturdy and pretty subtle.

Otherwise, it's the traditional machine stitch to the front and hand stitch to the back.

--Heidi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32113973@N05/
Old 06-28-2010, 06:31 PM

I sew the binding to the back and flip it to the front and stitch down. Sometimes I use a fancy stitch, sometimes not. If I am doing it for a customer, I sew binding on the front and flip to the back and use bottom line thread to hand sew it down. Almost invisible that way.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 PM

I sew my binding onto the backing then fold it toward the fron, press under the binding then I stitch in the ditch with a thread that is invisible or that matches both top and bottom. I also miter the corners .
Old 06-29-2010, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I machine sew the front then hand stitch the back.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Ok Eddie. You keep changing the picture which is very nice. So is this the family?
Old 06-29-2010, 06:23 AM

I machine stitch the front, fodl it over and hand stich the back, hopefully any problems I created are hidden there; and it's nice to do a little hand work..
Old 06-29-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
I sew it single fold to the front, mitering the corners, and then fold to the back and hand hem it down with a blind hem stitch. I like the look of it.
How do you guys miter the corners on the binding? I just kind of fold it over and give it a little extra fabric in the corners... don't think it looks bad, but I'm sure that's not the way you all do it. :)

I decided I do NOT have the patience for hand-sewing anything, so I machine quilt to the back, fold to the front and carefully machine sew to the front. IT seems to look the best for me. But those blasted corners... I need a better method.

Thanks! And thanks for posting this, I'm always interested to know how others do it!