Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmothers flower garden quilt...do's and don'ts! >

Grandmothers flower garden quilt...do's and don'ts!

Grandmothers flower garden quilt...do's and don'ts!

Old 04-22-2010, 09:33 AM

I have made a couple GM Flower garden quilts. I print out my own template, cut carefully. I remove them from the inter rings and leave the ones in the outside ring. This is a great take along project. The main thing I would say is "be patient!!" I have just started one with the finished hexagon 1". I expect it to take a while. LOL
Old 04-22-2010, 07:33 PM

This website: http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/ has all kinds on geometric shapes and sizes you can print out on your own cardstock and then cut out. I reuse several times until they start to get too beat up. I'm working on a blue and yellow 3/4 inch hexagon quilt.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Banned

So sorry I can't help. Penny
Old 04-23-2010, 03:33 PM

I can't stand English paper piecing (despite the flag to the left!). I pieced mine by hand, doing the Y-seam at the intersections and it wasn't difficult - not like it would have been by machine. It was my first quilt (finished 20 years ago and still in use).

When I tried paper piecing I couldn't get the stitches invisible in between the patches.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:56 PM

type in "grandmother's flower garden" in the search at the top of the page, there are pages of info! happy reading!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:37 PM

Lots of good info here. I will have to dig mine out again.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Google Goddess

I was wondering if anyone is making the grandmother flower garden quilts now?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Kas

Originally Posted by quiltbible
Originally Posted by granniebj
Ok...So I'm gonna start this quilt. Did alot of reading online and got some mix messages, such as the first 2 sites all recommended card stock for the middle....the next said card stock doesn't work. Guess its a preference thing. Have you made this quilt and do you have any advice? I'm doing it all by hand so that I can take it to my daughters to work on. I needed something that would travel well without the need for a machine.
~Bj~
I use a stamp for my grandmother's garden quilt. It came out nice. There is no tracing and the lines are very clear for hand piecing. I know others that have used it and loved it too. The stamp is made by Kate Ackley in TX. The product name is Stamps By Kate. The addy is http://www.bykate.com/.

Tea
So right! Those stamps are the best. Still haven't figured out why people want to add all those extra steps instead of doing the stamp thing.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:32 AM

Wow!! Love the stamp thing!!! Wish I knoew about that before I cut out the last 750 of my hexes!!
What i have done and learned this from our guild, was use the little mail-back card that are in all of the magazines... you know the ones that you mail back in for a subscription to the magazines?? well, they work great for me... and I have lots of my friends that have been collecting them from me... When I go to Dr. offices or visit friends I ask if I can tear them out of their magazines... usually get a "Yes"!!!

If you choose to do it this way start collecting ... I would like to see the stamp tho....hummmm?
Old 07-02-2010, 05:30 AM

I have a question for aussiequilter. I have EQ5. Are you creating your own hexagons or is there an actual block or template to print? I couldn't find it.