Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Nine Patch Project >

Nine Patch Project

Nine Patch Project

Old 07-05-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by wilhelmina
Here are six scrappy disappearing 9 patch's...they are very busy/confusing and only 6-1/4". If I continue with them, I will need to set them with an alternating plain dark block to calm the fabrics. What do you think?

This is my first attempt with the D9P, I like the technique!
I love how your D9P came out. Just finished one using only red,white and blue.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:11 PM

I love how your D9P came out. Just finished one using only red,white and blue.[/quote]

sewnsew, Can you share a picture? I am thinking of making one in those colors for a fellow going into the service.

Anyone making the D9P, what size squares are you starting with? I think my 2 1/2 squares would be to small and 4 1/2 maybe to big? Thanks
Old 07-05-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I love how your D9P came out. Just finished one using only red,white and blue.
sewnsew, Can you share a picture? I am thinking of making one in those colors for a fellow going into the service.

Anyone making the D9P, what size squares are you starting with? I think my 2 1/2 squares would be to small and 4 1/2 maybe to big? Thanks[/quote]

I started mine with 5" [finished 13"] That is a bit too big. I think 4-1/2 would be right.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:40 PM

I am calling this "Chaos" for now. I know it will get organized in my mind when I can concentrate. I am thinking this might make a nice pieced border. The blocks are 4 1/2 ". At this moment I feel fortunate to have this much completed. I have enjoyed reading your posts. Everyone is doing a great job!

"Chaos" Nine Patches July 5,2010
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82181[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-82176.jpe
Views:	16
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	82181  
Old 07-05-2010, 02:05 PM

I love the colors! Doesn't look at all like chaos to me. :-)
Old 07-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

looks great you did a good job love the colors
Old 07-05-2010, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by MegsAnn
I use scraps as small as one inch square. If you have extras... I'd LOVE to have some!
Ok MegsAnn..if you can wait a bit I can send some bits and pieces to you.

Now to whine some more.....the box I started working on yesterday is done...but it took hours and I have TONS of scraps to go.....I see that cleaning up after cutting a project is the sensible thing to do...which I also did today. Why didn't I learn about this years ago...

OK ....onward.....these strips are all ironed and stacked very neatly by size on top of each other.....when they finally get into a storage box do I keep them nice and neat ......how do you choose from your set of strips ....do you just jumble them all up (more ironing if we do that) and pick randomly...do you box them up by color or as Bonnie does ...darks and lights??? I hate to be a pest but this project really has me in a quandry. it is overwhelming me...mostly because of the vast variety accumulated over 20 years of sewing....it will take 100's of hours to get them all sorted out.....i do hope to do a little each day but am just wondering ....is this work really worth it????....hugs to all of you and thank you each, who wrote and tried to help me.

PS I thought maybe I should have done this whining (and I apologize for that) on the MAIN section.....please tell me if this is the wrong place for me to ask these questions
Old 07-05-2010, 06:30 PM

[quote=TexasGranny]I am calling this "Chaos" for now. I know it will get organized in my mind when I can concentrate. I am thinking this might make a nice pieced border. The blocks are 4 1/2 ". At this moment I feel fortunate to have this much completed. I have enjoyed reading your posts. Everyone is doing a great job![/quote

TexasGranny ...those are beautiful....my favorite colors hugs SG
Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 AM

As I said when we started, nine patches aren't really my thing - they're kind of boring.

Nonetheless, I've been plenty busy with them. I completed the quilt for Citizen SAM (pic 1). It has 24 nine patches, or if you count the patches within patches, 48. It's displayed sideways in the picture.

Additionally, I thought this would be the ideal time to dig into the trash bag full of kids' scraps from a special service project that I was involved in to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the campus where I teach. The quilt I made out of the scraps will be donated to an auction to benefit our college. Since there was no common theme to the scraps, I made it in the tradition of the 1930's utility quilts. (pic 2) It contains 144 nine patches. I think it would make a cute picnic blanket.

That's 168 nine patches since we started, so if you'll excuse me, I'm going to move on to something else now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-81705.jpe
Views:	144
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	81710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-81706.jpe
Views:	144
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	81711  
Old 07-06-2010, 10:17 AM

168......I think you have honored your comittment to this cause. Have fun with your new project and we will be looking for it.