Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
The Babysitter's Sandwich >

The Babysitter's Sandwich

The Babysitter's Sandwich

Old 07-01-2010, 04:10 AM

My cousin and her husband owned a cafe in a big office building in Montreal and this was one of their sandwich fillers. Drain the tuna, add to that a small, peeled grated apple, a dollop of relish, a dollop of mayo and any bits of chopped up cooked ham. I usually omit the cooked ham as I find most too salty and we don't buy deli meats as a rule. If you have any gourmet relish or Bick's Dill Bits, they take the flavour up a notch.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 AM

My hubby likes: pickles, catsup, and mayo for a sandwich. My sister and I call one Father Ryan sandwich: peanut butter with Karo syrup (4 to 1 ratio). It's a favorite of sis and me. When we were kids and went to catechism class in the summer at church, Father would stir up a big bowl of peanut butter and Karo and makes sandwiches and wash that down with Kool-Aid he made in a big milk can. The old time milk can. The nuns could hardly conduct any kind of class in the afternoon as the kids (little devils by then) were so wired on sugar.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:03 AM

I do too. Especially when fresh tomatoes get ripe.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 AM

I love peanut butter and dill pickles on toast.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by adrianlee
My hubby likes: pickles, catsup, and mayo for a sandwich. My sister and I call one Father Ryan sandwich: peanut butter with Karo syrup (4 to 1 ratio). It's a favorite of sis and me. When we were kids and went to catechism class in the summer at church, Father would stir up a big bowl of peanut butter and Karo and makes sandwiches and wash that down with Kool-Aid he made in a big milk can. The old time milk can. The nuns could hardly conduct any kind of class in the afternoon as the kids (little devils by then) were so wired on sugar.
Wish we'd had a priest like that....I always thought ours were kinda grouchy-looking....didn't look like they'd ever cracked a smile. Happy to say they seem to have improved over the years....
Old 07-03-2010, 06:08 PM

I grew up on a thin spreading of mayo on one slice, peanut butter on the other slice and sliced banana in the middle. Incredible. The mayo cuts the sweetness of the banana. My kids loved them.

My mom also would spread peanut butter thinly on raw cabbage leaves and roll them up, slice as pinwheels and serve with a toothpick as hors d'oeuvres at parties. Again, my kiddos loved them. It makes a great afternoon pick me up.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:31 AM

quick grilled cheese sandwich. toast two slices bread, butter it add a slice of cheese. Add some tomato, yum
Old 07-06-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by adrianlee
This reminds me of when we were kids...we mixed peanut butter, karo syrup and rice krispies together, and just ate it with a spoon... yummy :lol: I can almost taste it right now--at least 46 years later!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:56 PM

When staying with my sis many years ago, we invented (or so we thought) the dill pickle sandwich...guess not!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:26 AM

So did my mom.