Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hand Quilting >

Hand Quilting

Hand Quilting

Old 07-15-2010, 07:12 PM

You're handwork is so awesome! Simply incredible.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 PM

WOW!!! You're goooood !!!;-)
Old 07-15-2010, 07:29 PM

Rhueluna your work is AMAZING! Thank you for sharing. I have hand quilted a one piece decorative pillow and one baby quilt. I really enjoy it but my quilting pattern was much simpler than yours. I enjoy all the different kinds of quilting out there - hand, free motion and long arm. Your quilt with all the circles looks like long arm work - the detail and precision of your hand work is awesome! Be very proud!
Old 07-15-2010, 07:41 PM

Having arthritis, using the machine even to piece can be difficut on some days so hand quilting is out.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:55 PM

I am a hand quilter too-made close to 30 now, but nothing as esquisite as yours! I love to make applique quilts, sometimes I machine appliqued, but mostly I hand applique. I get an indescribable satisfaction finishing my quilts with hand-applique! It just doesn't give me the satisfaction to make the quilt top, and send it out for someone else to complete. Sort of like having a baby, keeping if for a few years, then sending it to someone else to finish raising (not that I have done that!) I have, however, never accomplished anything close to the quality of your quilts!! Now I have someting to aspire to!! Thanks for sharing-can we see more?????
Old 07-15-2010, 08:29 PM

I so admire the work in hand quilting. What talent you all have!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

Your hand quilting is beautiful. I am envious. I just can't get the hang of it.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by Candace
Although I can appreciate hand quilting, I don't care for the "look" of it and really prefer the artistry of good machine quilting. I decorated modern and don't care for antiques, country decor etc. I think it's important that if you hand quilters want to keep your art going, that you don't put down machine quilters and make comments like "it makes me sick" etc. It's definitely a put-off IMHO when people make disparaging comments about other people's art forms and preferences. Like I mentioned, I don't care for hand quilting, but I'd never make snarky comments about it.

Candace I just went through every post in this thread again and nowhere was anyone disparaging of artistic heirloom quality machine quilting or hand quilting. I did not see one snarky comment and one poster simply said some heavily quilted items make her feel sick, that could be just visual overload, have you never looked at a piece of art that literally made you feel dizzy? Out of all the posts on this thread you pick that one and add an "etc" to it as though we have been trashing machine done quilts?? Everyone has posted nice remarks about the very artistic machine quilting that has been done.

Both styles have their merits when done thoughtfully. I am a fan of both equally and do both! I just don't understand why you posted this
I agree! The original question was why there wasn't a separate catagory for handquilting and machine quilting. I do both, but much prefer the look of hand over machine. You can definitely tell the difference no matter how beautiful it is. Handquilting is something that will definitely take many more hrs, months, etc. to do. Is a totally different art.

As stated, its just a matter of preference. Personally I don't like things heavily quilted either by hand or machine. They may look gorgeous, but are stiff to lay under. I prefer the softer cuddlier kind. Its all a matter of preference. That's all.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:24 AM

These are truly a work of art. They are so beautiful and so many stitches!
Old 07-16-2010, 03:44 AM

I am a hand quilter also, I know how you feel. And your work is just beautiful!