Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you been arrested................ by the quilt police? >

Have you been arrested................ by the quilt police?

Have you been arrested................ by the quilt police?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 AM

Can I call my Lawyer?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:12 AM

I'm no quilt police, but I would encourage all to label each quilt because it is a legacy of our lifetimes. I recommend a photo album of quilts you make over your lifetime with date and significance of the quilt because every quilt has a story, even if it's something as simple as too many points. You will be amazed how easy it is to forget what is or was so important to you.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:27 AM

Love your answers! I didn't know there were so many sins available. :lol: I never measure my borders because that is my technique. I think it works better than to try to force a piece to fit and as long as it is square and the the dimensions are equal I am fine with that. My big crime is not securing my machine quilting threads as I should. Just snip them off and get it over with. I agree about the labels fully - even though I need to do a few more.
I have seen a lot of comments about picnic quilts. It seems to me that during the 1800's ladies used their fine quilts and picnic table service as a means of presenting their finery for the occasion. They would never dream of using a ratty old quilt with plastic and paper. They even dressed up properly. Quilts on the ground may be what is left of an old tradition.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:15 AM

[quote=knlsmith][quote=Lostn51]I have been know to treadle under the influence a few times does that count?

Billy
Old 07-20-2010, 11:26 AM

I've done most of these things.....and more! I had a flashback to a quilt show I attended, and heard such snide comments about some of the quilts, such as "oh, but she did the quilting by machine!" and nastier ones, too. Fortunately, I belong to a friendly quilt guild. I love this thread and think it's great that we can laugh at ourselves!

Happy quilting, everyone!

Barb
Old 07-20-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
I don't care if my quilts aren't perfect.
I agree ... better to have fun and get it done, rather than stuff it at the back of the closet. I don't need another UFO.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:16 PM

[quote=Lostn51]I have been know to treadle under the influence a few times does that count?

Billy
Old 07-20-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by quilterken
What little thing or big thing do you do that would get you arrested by the quilt police.

One of these days I'll be arrested for cruelty to quilts. Since, I use push pins to hang up my quilts and I'm too lazy to put on hanging sleeves.

Also, I'll be locked up for poor identification. Just can't get those finishing touches, like a label on the quilt.
Let me just say a few things:
Close is good enough.
Finished is better than perfect.
Perfect is boring.
There are no mistakes, there are design opportunities.
Points maybe shy and hide, but they aren't "cut off".

And I also teach that this is supposed to be a fun activity. So don't stress out about it. In the long run it is all "small stuff" so don't sweat it. <G>

Every project should be a learning experience.

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx
Old 07-20-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ruthieg
I'm no quilt police, but I would encourage all to label each quilt because it is a legacy of our lifetimes. I recommend a photo album of quilts you make over your lifetime with date and significance of the quilt because every quilt has a story, even if it's something as simple as too many points. You will be amazed how easy it is to forget what is or was so important to you.
STOP .... Right there ... Maam. You assume I want to leave a legacy .... I have no such intentions...or desires. My wish that that every quilt I make is consumed in MY lifetime.... leave none for the people who never knew me. Let no quilt be stored on a shelf ... Viewed only when reorganizing or spring cleaning .
One of my quilts have over a thousand hours in the piecing .... and I especially wish that it be consumed by the person whom I lovingly made it for.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:12 PM

I forget to cut threads too.