Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Took inventory, so to speak >

Took inventory, so to speak

Took inventory, so to speak

Old 07-25-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by PattyS
I am a FABRICHOLIC!! It makes me happy and a Happy Mom is good to have around!! I figurie it will be my kids problem trying to get rid of my stash. Ha! Ha! Kids, remember those teenage years I told you I would get you back?
That is exactly how I got a stash.I went by a garage sale and there was fabric every where,turned out the lady had died and had Alzheimer.She would forget she had bought fabric and would go out and by more.The family gave me a giant u-haul wardrobe box full of fabric and UFO's for $5.00.Still trying to figure out what some of the UFO's are.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:27 AM

I feel I should have my DH read this blog. May then he would quit teasing me about my being able to open my own store. Yes I have a lot of fabric. Some given to me by people that know I sew, others purchased. Very seldom do I pay full price. I always check out the sale area of the LQS. They have some great bargains and that is when I purchase. My daughters and daughter in law love to shop my studio. Once my DD #1 needed something she had run out of and was willing to find something close. Well I had the exact fabric she needed. Needless to say she was happy. They all give me a hard time for my collection but guess who they ask when they need something. Love the board.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:44 AM

I started quilting because of a block of the month class and figured it was a very affordable way to quilt. I didn't know how to finish it but I started again the next year. I have finished 3 quilts out of ten years and about 30 or so blocks of months. I am very behind and have acquired a fabric stash because I was going to finish those quilts. Some of you really look like you know what you are doing. I have enjoyed reading this thread. I don't feel quite so abnormal.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:55 AM

Wow I wish mine fit into tubs or shelfs. I have several rooms. I think 3. I am a sick woman!!!! I went on a bus shop hop (10) yesterday and bought 10 yards but stayed under $60. To be honest I needed backing for a fancy wedding quilt and I didn't have it on hand. But my friends laugh at me I don't need thread or fabric ever again. When we got together for a jacket project done in flannel fabric I told them they had to help me use up mine or I wouldn't do it. I had so much flannel that we didn't make a dent. HA HA SICK SICK.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:14 AM

I too have stopped buying fabric for the time being except for yesterday when I found some sets that I have been keeping an eye out for that I needed for a specific project.

I still look at fabric online (and just drool) but I have enough for who knows how many quilts right now. I can't justify buying more until I get some of these completed. Even if I just make a bunch of simple donation quilts, I want these older fabrics and scraps cleared out.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:15 AM

I worked full time most of my adult life, but loved the colors and the feel of the fabrics, so I bought when I really never used it. Now I am retired and actually producing, problem is the sales. How can you turn your back on a deal? Love the fact that so many of us feel the same way. I threaten my kids, if they don't behave I will bequeath my entire stash to them.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:00 AM

I thought I had alot of fabric, according to the pictures posted here, I need to go shopping :) NOT
Old 07-25-2010, 10:49 AM

Well, I don't have as much fabric as some of you gals but I have enough for my lifetime and someone else's too, LOL!

Lately I've been shopping for a dressy outfit for my granddaughter's wedding and believe me I'd rather be fabric shopping - I could buy yards and yards of fabric for what they want for the outfits and, best of all, I wouldn't have to worry if it fits me! May in Jersey
Old 07-25-2010, 11:15 AM

Wow! And I thought I was a fabriholic! My stash is tiny compared to yours, but formidable, nevertheless, and like you, I'm putting myself on a fabric fast until I make heavy inroads into what I already have. One thing I have learned about myself is that I don't like kits for quilts, for a number of reasons. They are limiting, leave no room for improvising, are often of fabrics I don't care for that much, and are often short-cut (and then the fabrics are no longer available when you try to supplement or add to it)... and they don't use my stash! :?
Old 07-25-2010, 11:16 AM

I just gotta say that I love, love, love looking at the photos of your stashes!!

I have been unemployed for over 6 months and able to spend time in my sewing room working on projects I had set aside for years. My stash has been used. I have made bags and baby quilts and wedding quilts, et al. I ran out of my favorite white on white (boohooo) just today!

I am this close to going back to work ... yippeee! In about three months I will have had time to bang down my bills, and the flood gates will open and I will have money to go shopping.

Thanks for sharing your stories ...