Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt entered at the "un" fair >

quilt entered at the "un" fair

quilt entered at the "un" fair

Old 07-25-2010, 07:09 PM

Your quilt is wonderful, I love the detail to it. We had the similar issues at our county fair this year, but in the fine art section. We did have new people running the program with no experience in the field they were setting up in. Both the storage and display of paintings was abysmal and actually hazardous to the paintings. So, were the people working in the section new, or inexperienced? It is a shame that fair goers could not revel in the glory of the entire piece! I can't imagine any of the quilts I have ever marveled at at local shows or PIQF folded up, with only a sixteenth of it or less on display. Maybe it is time to have a local quilt guild step in and say, hey, for comped entry fees or something, we will take care of displays.
In any case, keep up the good work-I know it is disheartening when your work isn't presented well (been there with my art to wear!), but I just go, well, at least my work is out and being seen, and I also realize that somewhere, a volunteer did the best they could with what they had, and I respect that.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:15 PM

One of the counties where I used to live put all quilts, afgans and other needlework in locked cases because they've had quilts and other works stolen. Maybe it's a security issue?
Old 07-25-2010, 07:16 PM

It really is a shame that the people sometimes responsible for display know little or nothing about what they're displaying! :( I know most of my friends refuse to show at our fair because they display them in a semi-open area where dust & rain have frequently been blowing in all over everything! Can you imagine all that fair grime all over your quilt!??! Ribbon or not, fair board personnel should respect the work of every individual who displays.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:25 PM

You did an awesome job. The quilt is fabulous. I'm so glad we got to see it. I wouldn't be attending that fair anymore. They are obviously idiots. :shock: They need better management.
A large part of people going are to see quilts.
Are there other fairs around that do appreciate beautifal quilts? :thumbup:
Old 07-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Administrator

if there were enough quilts entered in the fair, maybe they'd consider coordinating a special, extra "fair" just for quilts. i know it isn't likely, but it's worth a shot.

they might be willing to give you some information and advice about how to arrange one yourself - with the help of some fellow quilters.

here's hoping that next year they do it properly. :|
Old 07-26-2010, 01:47 AM

Your quilt is beautiful.

You won first place here with us.

Love the colors in it.

Contact them and the newspaper.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:57 AM

Your quilt is beautiful! I understand how you feel. I enter some in the Corn Festival in OH. Just for the fun of seeing them displayed. When I picked them up I got a report card with each one. They were so knit picked apart it broke my heart. I have made quilts for 39 years. I sold 1 at an action for $600. I didn't expect to win. I just wanted to display. They did the same thing to my friend. We learned our lesson. We just take our things to Quilt Club to show now.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:00 AM

Your quilt is darling. Unfortunately lots of local fairs are doing this. At our country fair all the quilts are stuffed in cabinets. They say there are not enough volunteers to guard the needlework so they resort to putting it in locked cabinets. (The display area is not air conditioned and July in Nebraska is HOT) Its sad to see this happen. However at our State Fair (Nebraska) They see the value of displaying our quilts. They are hung full out on racks for large quilts but smaller ones are still displayed in locked cabinets. However they are hung on strings attached to the insides of the units, so they can be seen full out. We usually have 400-500 entries. The fairgrounds have moved from Lincoln to Grand Island this year. While planning the buildings, the quilters had a say in designing the quilt exhibit area. Fair is end of August and cannot wait to see the new setting.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:15 AM

Sorry they didn't display your quilt properly. I'll bet there were many disappointed viewers also that they didn't get the opportunity to see all the quilts. Your quilt is happy, pretty and will make someone very happy to get to snuggle under it.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:31 AM

Sounds funny to me that the one to take a blue ribbon was also folded. how did the voting tate place if the quilt was not juried most fairs do the judgeing this way. Political by name only?