Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointing Quilting Class >

Disappointing Quilting Class

Disappointing Quilting Class

Old 07-26-2010, 03:14 AM

Do you have a quilt shop close to you that gives classes? Usually the LQS has a schedule of classes they offer, if possible talk to other customers in the store and ask if they have taken classes there and can recommend one. You learn a lot by just being bold and speaking to someone you do not know (remember to smile--grin). If they have taken classes and love them, ask who the teacher was.
Some chain stores offer classes, but the people conducting them have not had experience teaching. they are just assigned the job and try to struggle through, with no clue what they are doing. Good luck --Oh if there is a quilt guild in your area, visit and join, it may take a bit to make a personal connection with another member, but just smile and maybe praise something they have on or have in their hands. better yet ask about their project, most people love to talk about their work. Hope some of the suggestions help and do not give up. We love new quilters.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:31 AM

I have never taken a class for that exact reason - either they really don't know how to teach or they aren't particularly interested in teaching.

I have found that if I sit myself at my sewing table and sewing machine,read through the directions, follow them and then put it together, it means more because it is a total one on one experience and I am teaching me! I know what I can teach and if I can't teach myself how to do something, either I ask you or I just keep trying until I get it. You can bet I have my full attention.

Get your money back - all of it! You wouldn't have bought the material had it not been for the class. You may have made something else, get your money back!

You know, we all have to be our own advocates and if just one of us speaks up for ourself, we are speaking up for everyone else. I have spoken. Edie
Old 07-26-2010, 03:53 AM

Hello and welcome from Kansas. I am sorry to hear about your class. No they do not have classes as such like a quilt shop will. I hope you try again, but at a quilt shop. Happy quilting.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:54 AM

Sorry for what happen! Yes, I would mark it as an experience and not do it again. I had the same happen to me about a month ago. Very much upset with the instructor. I have to say "Ditto" that I have learned more from this group of talent ladies than any classes that I have attended :) Thank you ladies.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:09 AM

Thanks! I am going to go and get my $$ back today. I will still a bit unhappy yesterday so it wouldn't have been a good idea for me to go and ask for my $$ back.

Amazing that I received messages from other ladies in response to my posting that have had the same experience.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:12 AM

Hey Cindy:

We used to live in Olathe. Loved it there. Both our sons were born at Humana Hosp.

I'm disappointed too with the experience at Hancocks but will forge forward. I have found some good information on the basics at about.com.

I have a lot of ideas that I need to unleash! :-D
Old 07-26-2010, 04:15 AM

I took a class in Anchorage several years ago and the "teacher" was supposed to teach quilt as you go method...however she told us what to do and worked on her friends quilt that was a comissioned piece. She went blah blah, on and on about how wonderful she is. Many of us screwed up so much because she was soooo busy with her own projects. Then at the end of the "class" she said something like this...I see many of you are a bit confused and need futher assistance and I am thinking I'd be willing to come back to teach a finishing up class at a later date at $35-$40 :shock: . PUKE on that one. Oh that would not happen now to me. No one signed up for her "finishing up" class...wonder why :lol:

If I ever find myself in that situation again I would get a refund. On the other hand I took a class at a local shop and the teacher was excellent and incredibly talented and I still needed help after so she invited me to her home to finish up my projects. She also came to our home to help me pick out my fabrics for the project from my own stash.

Run to the place you took the class and get a gift card for the price you paid. Then turn around and treat yourself to more fabric. Perhaps they have no idea the so called teacher did NOT teach.

Just my thoughts. So sorry you went through what so many of us have experienced. :?
Old 07-26-2010, 04:21 AM

$12 quilt classes????Wow sign me up. Here in NY (Long Island to be exact) we start at $35 and go up from there. But that bad class was definately a rip off!!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:24 AM

Hi - sounds like your experience was as disappointing and aggrivating as mine.

This women said she had been quilting for 12 years....made me change my fabric because what I had she said I couldn't wiork with instead of making it work - really ticked me off. That started the morning. Then there were three more mature ladies - which is fine, my girlfriends and I are in our 50's and TOTALLY new to this, anyway, she gave more attention and time to them than the three of us.

So, I am going back and getting my $$ back today. They still have the best prices most of the time on fabric so I can't say they've lost a customer - as much as I'd like to....
Old 07-26-2010, 04:41 AM

I have been very cautious about taking classes since I took a Scrapbook Class and was very disappointed! The instuctor kept saying if you are a "A" personality you would do it this way....if you are a "B" personality you would do it this way.....didn't take me long to figue out I was a "C" personality and liked my way better. So mostly I learn from tutorials and ideas from books and others.