Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointing Quilting Class >

Disappointing Quilting Class

Disappointing Quilting Class

Old 07-26-2010, 04:56 AM

That is really too bad. My local Hancocks always displays a finished product of the class being taught. And the instructor is there to help us get started in the right direction and to ask her questions.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:59 AM

Thank you for the tip, I have not signed up for any classes, I don't have the money so I am trying on my own. So far :? ;-)
Old 07-26-2010, 05:01 AM

Complain and ask for your money back. And just like you're doing on-line here, tell everyone you know to spread the word about the un-class.
I've been fortunate to attend some fabulous classes. The very best have been through local guilds where a member gives a class.
And this board and many of the blogs/You tube quilting videos and other quilting sites have been a phenomenal source of information, inspiration, and encouragement.
Hope this wretched experience doesn't sour you on a wonderful hobby........well, maybe obsession!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:01 AM

lauriejo, I love the picture you have under your name, where did you get it? :P :thumbup:
Old 07-26-2010, 05:03 AM

Hi Deb, where are you in Missouri, if you don't mind me asking.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Twilliebee
Complain and ask for your money back. And just like you're doing on-line here, tell everyone you know to spread the word about the un-class.
a more constructive approach is to first talke to the store manager. calmly explain the reasons for disatisfaction and ask for a refund.

it may have been an isolated incident, or just one unqualified teacher out of many good ones who teach for that specific store.

sometimes when we think we're "spreading the word" we're actually spreading something else. ;-)
Old 07-26-2010, 05:13 AM

I am the owner of a small quilt shop, so I would like to respond to your question.

If you wanted to learn how to prepare a speciality dish from your kitchen, you would not go to WalMart for lessons.

The same is true for Joann's and Hancocks. Don't get me wrong, I have and probably will again, shop at those two stores. If you want quality quilting classes go to your LQS. Some even offer free classes if you buy their kit....I have done that in my shop.

Checkut your LQS and see what classes they have coming up. Pick one that suits your needs and sign up for it.

I also have lived in towns where the quilt clubs offer lessons sometime. In our little town, we have a community college and they offer quilting classes.

Hope one of thes suggestions help.
Virginia
Old 07-26-2010, 05:19 AM
ajw

Check and see if your local school district doesn't have an adult ed program. My first quilting class was taught by a woman with MANY years of quilting / teaching experience. We bought the supplies before the first class and she went thru the cutting, basting, piecing and quilting of a lap /baby sized quilt. We met one night a week for several weeks, and by the end of the "semester" we each something beautiful to show off at our final meeting. It was the best beginner level class and more than I could have hoped for. That class is what hooked me!!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ms. Shawn
Thank you for the tip, I have not signed up for any classes, I don't have the money so I am trying on my own. So far :? ;-)
You will do just fine. Just enjoy yourself. I have been quilting since 1997 and I just had to dispose of a completed block, which I had ripped and sewed and ripped and sewed and ripped and sewed - couldn't get the points right. It happens! It's what makes you a better quilter. You are your own best and worst critic. I'll go back to that block, recut a new bunch of squares and start all over again. That is my way of learning. And it works! (at least for me it does).

Good luck to you. Edie
Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 AM

Thanks for all the 'heads up's'. I will be sure and check out class' when able to take so I don't have the same problem.