Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointing Quilting Class >

Disappointing Quilting Class

Disappointing Quilting Class

Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 AM

I have to agree with the others. Ask for a partial refund. Also, some one here will take you under their arm and help you through any question or problems you may have. People here are wonderful!
Old 07-26-2010, 05:45 AM

I am new at quilting also...but I lived in a small farm town when I began quilting...learning from a small group of women who met weekly to hand quilt. They taught me so much. Maybe joining a small group and letting them "teach" you the "lay of the land" in your town would help you be able to choose better. Quilters usually know who's who in quilting in your town......There are good people out there willing to teach..believe me..I know from experience.....I don't know what you should do..I, myself, would chalk it up to a learning time and move on....happy lessons ahead betsy lou
Old 07-26-2010, 06:07 AM

I signed up for a Stash Busters class hoping to connect with other local quilters. I'm so busy that one hour on Saturday morning seemed perfect. We traded patches and partly sewn blocks until the final assy. Kind of a mystery class. That part was fine, but the teacher told us that each month she would have a little fun project for us. Never got one. Then the shop moved and the "class" was cancelled for several months. Latest newsletter shows the class is back, but the fee has gone from $10 to $20 for one hour of no class at all. I'd be happy to pay $10 a month to have access to a space and nice quilty ladies, but think the $20 for so very little is silly. Bet no one shows up.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by tincan
C/lass at Hancock
I took the Lewis and Clark quilt block packets. HaHa for help. Spent fortune on material to mke it and that is all I got. I'ts still in drawer.
When I worked for Hancocks I did the demos on the Lewis and Clark BOM. I would be more than happy to help you in any way, either thru this quilting board or private messages.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 AM

I took a class from Hancocks years ago. We were to make a baby quilt - $35 for class. First, they gave us a color wheel lesson. Then we HAD to buy the fabric there - $75 later, I learned the teacher did not like my thread, wound bobbin thread or machine. She said I could do better if I just bought everything from there and did not bring anything in the building except for my "dumpy" little machine. I never went back and no, they did not refund my money because it was an "outside" teacher, not an employee.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:09 AM

Go to Hancock's corporate website and tell them exactly what happened. I e-mailed them several weeks ago when I bought 11 pieces of cotton fabric and the store did not have a straight edge to cut the fabric. consequently, I had 11 pieces of fabric which was somewhere between 1" and 2" off on the ends. I told them the problem and gave them a solution...either tear cotton so you have a straight grain or give them a 24" rule so they can cut straight. I got a response by phone from them in 2 days and in 4 days I got a call from the store manager telling me of the training that was done "how to use a ruler". She offered to cut new fabric but by then I had already washed the fabric and had put it in my stash. I was at least happy that someone at least paid attention. Tell them you expect a full refund on the class you took. Most guilds offer some classes or find a sewing buddy who has a little more experience and you both can learn. Remember those that receive your talent will think it is WONDERFUL..and it IS.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:13 AM

I would ask for my money back and if they refused I would call the corporate office and complain. I bet they don't want a bad name. I would look for a local Quilt Shop and ask abouth their classes. I believe you would get more out of it and probably not as expensive.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by granny18

If you wanted to learn how to prepare a speciality dish from your kitchen, you would not go to WalMart for lessons.

Virginia
While this is true, in a sense, I don't think it addresses the nature of the transgression. She paid $35 for a quilting CLASS and what she got was a handout.

Even Wal-Mart would not charge you for a flyer with a recipe on it.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:06 AM

I joined a group at our LQS that did a block of the month. I didn't know much about quilting but learned a lot from the ladies and the store owner. I got many tips and help. It wasn't a learn how to quilt but it was making a quilt. All blocks were different we made two of each. Anyway maybe there is something like that you can go to. There were experienced quilters and non quilters and I learned more in the 12 months then I would have during a class. We went once a month to show our block and get the one for the next month. It was a fantastic experience for me.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:17 AM

I would certainly ask for my money back. That was not a class.