Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointing Quilting Class >

Disappointing Quilting Class

Disappointing Quilting Class

Old 07-26-2010, 01:51 PM

Other than taking classes at a Stretch and Sew store many years ago, and that was a great experience, I have only taken one class at a fabric store and it was a demo to sell a product. Had to pay $5, but I did learn a different method of clothes making. I did take a 4 day beginners class at the LQS and was so thrilled with what I learned that I have now taken many classes there and all have been good experiences. Lesson--go to a LQS for classes and you will learn a lot and have help with choosing fabrics etc for your projects.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:35 PM

Here's a link to about.com quilting....you may find information you would like to view on quilting

http://quilting.about.com/od/stepbys...e_a_quilt.html

Diana in TX
Old 07-26-2010, 02:44 PM

I am NOT a fan of Hancock. The store here in Abilene, TX has the most rude employees I have ever encountered in any store, EVER. Therefore it is my very last resort for materials. I can only assume that any classes given there would be a waste of time. The Hancock fabric store up north where I used to live was the EXACT SAME WAY. I think that Hancock corporate needs to either educate their employees on common manners and look into what they refer to as "classes". I also think, IMHO, that we will see the demise of Hancock fabrics.

My last visit last week was for a large spool of quilting thread only locally available there. I waited 22 minutes for a cashier to show up and then SHE was nasty to ME because, in her words, "I'm really busy. Do you need this spool of thread that bad?"
Old 07-26-2010, 03:23 PM

I have taken classes at several LQS with MOSTLY happy results. I have had really consistently good experiences at big quilt shows, though. Most of those teachers have written books and are used to teaching step by step. Looking forward to the Mancuso Show in a couple of weeks where I'll take two classes.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:30 PM

You don't state where in Missouri you are located, but if it's in St. Louis County, you might want to try the Quilted Fox and Jackman's Fabrics for quilting classes. They offer a lot and are really good classes.

Jackie
St. Louis County
Old 07-26-2010, 03:36 PM

Is there a quilt guild in your area? I have found that the most reasonably priced classes are through the guild I belong to. I have only had one experience where I didn't feel that the instructors earned their money.
I know that when I teach, the only sewing I do is demonstrations.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:37 PM

I joined a lady who own a small quilting shop in our home town, and she only excepts excellance from any one of us, but also gives us our money worth of learning, and if we have any questions, we come into her shop and she takes the time to explain it to us. Her material isn't cheap, but the quality is, which Walmart certainly doesn't have. I wouldn't trust any store that doesn't appreciate her customers, most retailers do not...
Old 07-26-2010, 03:48 PM

I am so sorry for your experience. My LQS offers a quilting 101 class once a month. It is a continuation class, but you may choose which ones you want to go to and they do HELP as much as possible...and if after the class you need more help, just stop in the store and the manager will help you. I can't imagine just throwing it out to you without explaining the rotary cutter, the fabric and the direction of the grain...This 101 class in my area goes into all of it...even hand quilting, if you like. I hope this doesn't disacourage you from trying your hand at quilting.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:10 PM

The first class I went to was a memory quilt class my son had just passed away and I wanted to make a memory quilt for my daughter-in-law. The first class all the teacher did was talk about nothing really not the quilts. I made friends with one lady there and I went to her home one night for a couple of hours and learned more from her in 2 hours than I did at all three classes. my class cost $45.00 and $85.00 for a kit wich was the backing, batting and the sashing and binding. when I left the first class my bill came to $250.00. I have recieved more information here on this sight than at any class I will take. So from now on I will just do my own thing by trial and error. by the way I have just finished my third memory quilt in 4 months time.I know it isn't the best but I think they are beautiful. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:12 PM

Join a quilt guild learn from the girls, it's much more fun.