Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointing Quilting Class >

Disappointing Quilting Class

Disappointing Quilting Class

Old 07-27-2010, 12:00 AM

No Rainy Days ask your friends to show you what they know. At least you will be learning some thing. If you all make the same type of thing at one time you can pick up little bits from watching what the others are doing, of course there is still quilt books etc. Good Luck.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:32 AM

I received my "reply" from the Bernina Mgr who operates the classes. I cannot get my money back - they have to pay the instructor, But, they are happy to give me "credit" for another class of my choice in the future. Its not my problem that they have to pay the instructor. So, its up the chain that I go.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by woodchkr
I received my "reply" from the Bernina Mgr who operates the classes. I cannot get my money back - they have to pay the instructor, But, they are happy to give me "credit" for another class of my choice in the future. Its not my problem that they have to pay the instructor. So, its up the chain that I go.
If you paid with a credit card or debit card with a visa/mc logo, dispute the charge with your bank. This is a situation where you did not get what was offered, and were mislead. Otherwise keep going up the chain, and I'd really hit home that it's not the fact that you were dissatisfied with the class, but rather THE CLASS WASN'T OFFERED...you were handed materials and that's it.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:25 AM

Hello,

Do you have a quilting guild where you live in Missouri?? That would be the best bet. For --I'm talking about mine now--$25.00/yr Jan-Jan/ prorated also, you get membership in monthly meetings, both day and nights alternating, workshops for $40. they are all day from 9 3-4P and very famous teachers. Supposed to end at 3 but sometimes go to 4. Plus you are in with other people of like interest -quilting/fabrics- and the 3 hr monthly meetings just fly by. Also have a show n tell, mini workshops, their own quilting library and lots more.

I'd recommend you scout around and see what's available. You can google quilt guilds in your area or find another quilt shop and ask about a quilting guild.

hope this helps. Join a guild and you will have funn and learn a lot.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:11 AM

I just read all the posts. When I posted before i'd just read the first page. Only one person mentioned the sr. centers. yes, they have quilters/quilting; but also the community centers which are open to all agr groups have quilting. I belonged to a Friday morning quilting group and learned a lot there, but moved on when it became a hand quilting/friendship chat group as the floor electric plugs didn't work. Probably water from washing got into them? There was a leader and a new project every friday and it was FREE. A nice 4-letter word.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:30 AM

I have been quilting a long time and have taught many quilt classes and taken many classes. I also have a teaching degree and know how to prepare a lesson plan. I am upset when I take a class that doesn't have an organized plan and have to pay for it. I have never asked for money back but should have. I also do not take another class from that teacher. The teacher may know a lot but is not organized enough to share the information in an orderly fashion. Good luck in your next experience. Quilting is a building process just like math-start with numbers and progress to fractions, algebra, geometry and calculus.

Happy Quilting-Jere
Old 07-27-2010, 09:48 AM

That's too bad. I wish I would have been your teacher. Most everyone seems to loves my classes. Shops tend to teach the technique' and then it's up to you to finish. That way it keeps the cost down. Don't give up. You will learn something at each class even if you have taken it before. Try different teachers and shops. Try the "quilt till you wilt" types too. We learn so much from each other. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks to everyone but....Well - no luck at all and the District Mgr. refuses to refund after I'd taken the class. So I now have a "credit" at the store for another class. Don't think that will happen. And all the other ladies were called that were in the class and just "raved" about how much fun they had etc., etc., etc., so I got stuck - literally. I have had a lot of wonderful suggestions from everyone and I REALLY appreciate them. I will follow up and start of the trek of becoming self taught. There are a couple of LQS's that I can go to as well. The heck with Hancock. I'll end this diatribe and move onto better topics. Not one that aggrivates the daylights out of me. Thank you everyone for your support and "ears" and advice. :-)
Old 07-27-2010, 12:32 PM

Sorry to hear about your disappoinment. There are a few points to check before handing out the money.
1.Ask for the teacher plan of the course, especially if it spread over a period of time.
2. Ask if there is any prerequisites, to make sure the course is at a right level for you.
3. Ask to see the room where the course will be given, and how many students will register
4. Inquire about the teacher credentials.
I follow my courses with Quilt University, they have great teachers, you work on your own time, the teaching texts are clear with good pictures, you can reach the teacher and you have an evaluation you can fill at the end of the course.
I am more than satisfied with the quality of teaching I get for the money I spend. By the way I am a former Home Economics teacher !
Old 07-27-2010, 12:50 PM

I was among those who was the assigned Lewis and Clark "class" series in that chain/nationally owned fabric outlet. We were not told much as to what to do or expect, so another sales associate (still with them) and I tried to be as helpful as we could be to those who attended our sessions and had good relationships with them. We made each of the blocks ahead of time to anticipate problems; that helped a good deal. Most of us have learned that we gain experience and knowledge from each other's sharing.