Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt entered at the "un" fair >

quilt entered at the "un" fair

quilt entered at the "un" fair

Old 07-27-2010, 07:39 AM

I have a suggestion - why don't the quilt clubs also have a booth and any and all quilts are accepted. By that I mean - they don't have to belong to that particular quilt club.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:49 AM

I agree that something should be done about how quilts are displayed. It just doesn't seem right to go to all the work of entering and have your quilt folded on a shelf for display to the public.

When something is entered, it should be judged both by the fair committee and by the public. If the public can't see it; how can we agree or disagree with the judge's choices? (I always think that's the fun part!)

The way they treated you just made you not want to enter a quilt ever again!

I am sorry for the way you and your quilt were treated!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:03 AM

To all my quilting buddies out there,
This is an FYI - our local quild invited the superintendant of the local Fair to our most recent evening meeting. She and her assistant got to state their needs and we got to talk to her about our concerns. As a guild for a long time now we signed up to receive these treasures (wearing white gloves), tag them for the Fair, display them on pegboard & hanging rods through the sleeves the participants put on the backs and we also volunteer to sit and protect these works of art. There is not an entry fee and the only recognition we do get is ribbons and the satisfaction of seeing it on display for others to enjoy. Except for the Best of the Show which receives a donated gift certificate from a local quilt store. Our guild noticed years ago the lack of respect for these items and because of it, we got involved. We all try to volunteer as much as we can to cover the needs to help others understand this labor intense art form. We even do demonstrations on some of the many art forms submitted for judging - what fun that is!
Dear quilting buddies, you all can make a difference. Let's not let others be hurt for the lack of understanding let's get out there and show these beauties off. Volunteer when and where you can.
I've submitted quilts and many other hand crafted things to Fairs in California and Arizona and have never been disappointed with the means of display I've seen. It really broke my heart to hear what happened to others on this Board but you can make a difference next time. Don't let this stop you from sharing your creation. Get out there and help make it better for others and yourself. Sorry, up on my band wagon - I've been community minded all my life and know how frustrating it can be when talented people are turned off in showing their things because of a mistake made that can easily be fixed. We all just need to get involved, help make it a better experience for you and the next group of people interested in showing their treasures off. It doesn't have to be a dying art form but if we don't do anything about the situation it could become a hidden art form.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:35 AM

That is no way to display a quilt! I would have been dissapointed. I love to look at them at the fair. A couple of years ago there was a quilt submitted to the fair. It was so cute! John deere tractors. Our local shop owner submitted it. She had made it for her grand son. It won grand prize and some worth less jerk stole it from the fair. How you sneak out of the expo center with a full size quilt? Yours is super cute! And should have been displayed much better.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:13 PM

You did a good job. They missed out, but we didn't. :D
Old 07-27-2010, 01:48 PM

You did a beautiful job on your quilt. Did you make it for someone special?

I would write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper as well as the person in charge of the fair and complain about the way they handled the display. Everyone who brought their quilt to the fair expected it to be at least seen by those who looked. To have any quilt folded is a disrespect to the quilter. Hanging it over a chair or quilt rack would have been appropriate; to say the least. If the fair's intent was to show quilts, then they should have made the proper arrangements for all the entries and not make any excuses.

Along with your complaint, I suggest you urge your quilter friends to do the same. Maybe next year they will be a little more prepared to handle such a large response.

Keep your chin up. It was lack of common sense on their part.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:50 PM

Earthwalker, what a great idea. I agree with you entirely.
Get involved. It can make a difference.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:16 PM

We must have had the same people here at our fair in Susanville, CA. last week. I got second place on a rag quilt I made for my oldest grandson for Christmas. When they finally let us in the building 2 1/2 late cuz the judge was 2 hours late for the judging, I went looking for that quilt. I had entered 5 and could only find 4. The rag quilt was in a solid wood box about 12" deep and had a glass lid. There was my second place quilt FOLDED UP in the display next to the first place quilt (a baby one) that was folded down to about 6"x12" and only showing the back. The Best of Show was ROLLED UP just above the the first place one that we could not see at all!!!!! The fair manager is a good friend of mine and was my employer for most of 3 year when he owned our Burger King. I plan to make an appointment and have a talk about this. I feel that it was very inappropriate the way they did the displaying in the building this. There was LOTS of room in the building cuz there was only about half the entries they had last year. And then the people who did get Best of Shows had no ribbons on their entries til the day before the fair was over!!!!! I feel your pain with what they did and can't imagine what they were thinking by putting those top ribbon quilts in a box, folded up. Sorry bout what they did to you. I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from. Obviously, whoever put those quilts like that are not quilters!!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:48 PM

I think your quilt is adorable! Its really too bad that it wasn't displayed properly. The organizer must not have been a quilter.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:05 PM

Connie,
Your quilts are wonderful! Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting.