Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointing Quilting Class >

Disappointing Quilting Class

Disappointing Quilting Class

Old 07-27-2010, 12:53 PM

I took a class at Handcocks (first Quilting Class I ever took.)it was also a joke, I ask every question I did not understand.The teacherr told me she would be glad to give me leasons at home for a price. I told her I already payed for this class an she was then ok with that I learned a little but would never took a class again at Handcocks.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:06 PM

I could have offered this service as well. If either of us can help, please ask. I believe that I still have the patterns, templates and even some fabric from the Lewis and Clark projects.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:47 PM

I teach a quilting class at my elementary school in the library. One night is for adults, one night is for 3rd through 5th graders. It is free to anyone who wants to come. Maybe you could go to your high school or school board even and see if there was a teacher who quilts who is willing to start a class. Many teachers receive a bonus for outside of the workday work. This would count for the bonus.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:38 PM

Marthe:

Thanks for your note. Truly being a beginner here...I will have to work diligently!

Umm my sewing skills are from that time - I had fond memories and fun in my Home Econ class. Know the basics, have sew a little bit since then, nothing really involved. The past few years mostly the merit badges on and patches onto my son's boy scout uniforms. Haven't really "sewn" in a long time. So I am biting of a lot starting to quilt. It is something I have always wanted to do and haven't had the time. Kids are grown soooo now have the time.

Thanks again!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:50 PM

I have found that most classes at the LQS are very informative. And if I need further help with something, our shop owner will always be glad to help me with it. Never had such luck at JoAnns or Hancocks.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 PM

Karen,
OMG that's horrible. Of course you needed the thread that
bad or you'd have not bothered.
Geeze there's no excuse for rudeness like that at all!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:40 PM

I think we can learn more from each other. I took a beading class once where the instructor robbed all 20 of us for $65 each. She laughed all the way to the bank and we got as far as "stringing" beads with a needle.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
Is there a quilt guild in your area? I have found that the most reasonably priced classes are through the guild I belong to. I have only had one experience where I didn't feel that the instructors earned their money.
I know that when I teach, the only sewing I do is demonstrations.
I used to teach classes at a LQS and lots of times I would bring my featherweight and sew along with the class so that the students could see just how things went together.
I've also taught at my guild's "Gift of Quilting", all the classes are taught by our members. Its our gift to ourselves for all the hard work we did to put on the quilt show the year before.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:56 PM

next week one of my friends at my local quilt group is going to show and teach us Trapunto. She has won awards etc and is well up on the ins and outs of quilting--Thanks Gayle. There has to a group where you can get help. Maybe get simply quilt DVD's or the new The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Timms. They are very informative. I will be buying some at Christmas with my Christmas money,that way I can view them if I need information in a hurry. Why don't try that avenue for help too.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Banned

I am so sorry. I cant afford a class, but I have learned so much from this board. Please if you can afford it, take another class. There are a lot of go teachers out there. I hope you get your money back. God bless. Penny