Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
my 1/10th scale miniature quilts >

my 1/10th scale miniature quilts

my 1/10th scale miniature quilts

Old 07-28-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Steffi
Originally Posted by chamby
OH WOW!!!. How in the world did you sew something this tiny. I would think that it would be eaten up by the machine. Did you do these by hand?
No, I have the luck to possess a machine that doesn´t eat small pieces. But I heard this from other machines.
All minis except the flower garden are sewn by machine.
Ugh, I love my machine but it keeps eating any piece smaller than an inch. Since I took the Sally Collins classes I've been working much smaller and my machine has been fed on a regular basis, much to my growing frustration! :evil: There is a solution. For those out there who have hungry machines like mine, buy a single throat plate & use it when piecing. The single hole for the needle means there is less room for any fabric to travel down into. Once I have a bit of wiggle room in my budget I plan on getting one. I can't wait! Just don't forget to change the throat plate back out if you plan to do any type of zig zag stitches or if you are the type who moves their needle position around a lot. ;)
Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 AM

Have you been watching Deadliest Catch? If so, then you know that one of the boat captains, Phil Harris, recently (in Feb) had a fatal stroke, and that the program had at least 2 programs devoted to a memorial for him and remembrances from his sons, the other boat captains and crews, and from loyal fans all over the country.

One of the things they talked about several times was rough, tough Capt. Phil's hobby of hand-building the most beautiful, intricate bird houses! They had ladders and steps up to the wrap-around porches, hanging flower baskets, chandeliers, fireplaces with logs, furniture galore, table decorations, lights - everything was hand-carved, took an inordinate amount of time and took patience and a loving touch to achieve, made all the more amazing by the fact that Capt. Phil was really gruff, had a foul mouth when at work on the boat, was unkept, had long, unruly hair, was unshaven, had bad teeth, was heavily tattooed, loved fast expensive cars and motorcycles (3 of which he kept in his LIVING ROOM !), spent money like water, and lived in a broken-down trailer. But what the memorials revealed was that he loved his boys and worried about them, deeply loved his ex-wife until the day he died, his best friend whom he truly loved was his little, scruffy, fluffy lap dog. They revealed the real Phil - the one who hand-fashioned delicate, beautiful bird houses, the likes of which none of us had ever seen before.

When I saw your dollhouses and the mini quilts you made for them, I was reminded of the time and love Phil put into his hobby, and you also put into your hobby a lot of devotion, time, love and dedication which we can all see and appreciate. You've really done it, girl. Keep it up and please show us more pics. What you've done is just wonderful. Too bad you don't live in Pittsburgh - I'd ask you for lessons!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:58 AM

Oh my gosh!!! I've gone to many dollhouse shows in the New England area, and your quilts are simply incredible!!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:08 AM

Fantastic!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:12 AM

WOW!!! These are awesome.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:35 AM

Your work is truly amazing. Do you use paper piecing on any of the quilts?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:37 AM

Wow, I would had made just one..WTG
Old 07-29-2010, 04:56 PM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

I am amazed!! I have trouble with matching triangles on a normal quilt. Your work is just beautiful.

My sister does minature oil paintings of the old masters for her doll houses and that amazes me too.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Banned

wow, you do beautiful work. they are amazing. thank you for sharing, and God bless. Penny
Old 08-03-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
I am so in love with this. Every single quilt is a masterpiece. I don't know how you work on something so tiny, but the results are fabulous!!! I couldn't pick one I like best, they are all amazing.
I totally have to agree with BK. Breathtaking work. I would say unbelievable if I hadn't seen the pictures with my own eyes.

I bought a dollhouse kit some 13 years ago and never got around to building it. I guess I just lost interest. It's a San Franciscan Style "Painted Lady". I'm totally interested in parting with it if anyone is interested you can send me a PM for more details.

In the meantime, Keep up the fantastic work! WOW! WOW! WOW!