Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An email from WalMart >

An email from WalMart

An email from WalMart

Old 07-28-2010, 06:21 PM

We have a Dollar Tree in the small plaza directly in front of the Walmart.
So the same plates,cups balloons etc. for $1/package
Fabric Dept closed over a year ago. and the large wide empty isles in the new dept with all the clearance items
Old 07-28-2010, 06:56 PM

It's been a long time since I went into our WM - used to go AT LEAST twice a week... I, too, remember how they became America's 'habit'by touting "Made in America" - now one would be hardpressed to find ANYTHING in there that's made in America...
Old 07-28-2010, 08:27 PM

I have yet to see any of the 'cut fabric' they refer to in this letter. The very most that this might be is a package of fat quarters. I have about 15 different Wal-Marts within relative easy driving from me and any that have been re-modeled and all of the new stores the fabric department as we know it is gone. So, as far as I'm concerned this letter is double speak.... Also, I use to spend between 50 and 75 dollars a paycheck at that store for fabric alone, now they may get that a month if they are lucky.....
Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 PM

Ditto------got the same response to my email, word for word. It ticks me off because they totally dismissed my concern. I asked them to reconsider their decision to eliminate fabric departments. I already knew what they were planning to do. I hope their fabric department replacement fails miserably. I am very annoyed with Walmart's response.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
I'm willing to bet "Life's Celebrations" won't last very long. Paper plates in a thousand different colors, streamers and fancy napkins don't seem to be a very popular in my local Wal-Mart and it's taking up a huge amount of floor space. Bolt fabrics on the wall, taking up very little space in the next closest one to me always has a line waiting and no one was clamoring for square yellow paper plates or party streamers. Oh, and my local wally world now has copy paper in at least 4 different places. Come on! Really! How much shelf space do you need for copy paper?!! BTW--I wasn't even looking for fabric or copy paper. We were looking for a deep fryer.
Maybe you should write and say what you just wrote. Wish them luck on their "new" department.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:20 AM

WOW there is passion - I will add my 2 cents now and make it a $1 (which 75cents goes to the IRS he he) - Where I live & the neighboring towns WM got rid of their fabric – they still have their sewing machines and some sewing notions. When they had the fabric I know that you had to be really diligent in checking the fabric I also know that it was a hit or miss when you went in to buy, but the price was good when you got a hit. The Local fabric stores are just to pricey for my budget – I know that they are there to make the shop work and make a living – but since I don’t own a store I really don’t understand their profit nor overhead obligations – So I can’t be angry I just don’t shop their I shop on line which is a hit or miss as well. I agree 100% that what WM is saying in their email is all gray smoke – their motivation and their focus is on the bottom line the almighty $$ not the customers.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
It is not just fabric that Walmart has cut out. We can't buy our cat's food, all the brand name food items had price increases, some by a lot. I went yesterday and bought nothing but bananas. That is the first time that happened. Ever.
I have noticed that too. They raised the price from 96 cents to 1.45 on the cat food I use to buy and stopped carrying the dog food I buy for my little old guy. I go to Petsmart now for food. A few cents more expensive but they have it.And I am usually there Saturday's anyway. I go to Home Depot for things I use to buy there like paint and plants. And I have been hitting Kroger more often . Although at this time of year most my veggies come from the garden. And I get my meats from Angel Food. I may still go in for things like batteries but I have even started buying clothes on line because I found a place that the clothes fit better and if I get on sale its cheaper than Walmart.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:36 AM

Ditto, ditto, ditto.
This is the same email I got from Wal-Mart a couple of months ago. I email them back as soon as I got my email from them and told them, this is one lady that would go out of her way NOT to go near their NEW Department. Like that was going to do any good, but, made me feel better.
I'm like Sharon B, they don't even have the respect to send out something other than a form letter.
Another reason for me NOT to like Wal-Mart.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:53 AM

I agree they already have the seasonal stuff all over the place. They cannot even keep the needle section stocked so they don't care. I am using them less and less.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:11 AM

I found out yesterday that one of the reasons they are getting rid of the fabric dept. is that Walmart has bought our Joanns. I had no idea they owned Joanns and had bought them out 2 years ago! Does this not explain why they are getting rid of their fabric dept???? ARGGGHH! They own it all!