Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An email from WalMart >

An email from WalMart

An email from WalMart

Old 07-30-2010, 04:12 AM

I got the same one. Twice!
Old 07-30-2010, 04:14 AM

I've decided several options for no fabric in my Wally in the spring.

I will now only consider quilts I can make from my stash.
(At 82 years of experience, I have a STASH)

I will start a swap club in my ASG

I will purchase any "I can't find it anywhere else" on the internet.

This plan should really wake up the old creative juices and test my abilities to make do or do without.

I can't afford to do it their way but I will never stop sewing and quilting.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:15 AM

We must have all got the same form letter. I hope they are sorry when they take the fabric from their store. I grocery shop there because of the fabric. There is nother grocery store that I like better right around the corner but I shop Walmart for the fabric.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:22 AM

I got the exact same reply to my email. :evil: I will probably quit Walmart completely. The one I go to does have fabric, but it never changes, except for some cheap seasonal fabrics.

The prices are going up more and more. I have decided to just do most of my grocery shopping elsewhere. And as for fabric, I have found some awesome prices on brand name fabrics online. I don't mind if it is last years design. I am always way behind in making a quilt anyway. :mrgreen:
Old 07-30-2010, 04:44 AM

They can "celebrate" without me! When our fabric area gets discontinued, I will "discontinue" shopping there. As someone else said, lots of discount places carry plates and streamers AND they are cheaper.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:57 AM

My Wal Mart is not going to make the Celebrations department bigger, but the Electronic department.
I think it makes them more $$$$$$.
Sad to hear!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:00 AM

Hello from Florida this is my firt post!
My Wal Mart will expand their Electronic department. I think it makes them more $$$$$$$.
Sad to hear.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I have been diligient in trying to avoid Walmart at all costs, because of what it does to the local businesses . These are businesses owned by comunity members who's profits will be spent in the comunity. And owners are present to listen and answer questions. Additionally I am old enough to remember that when Walmart first started national presence ... their big claim was that everthing in the store was AMERICAN MADE. This was silently abandoned once they had made them selves the giant retailer.
It is not that hard where I live to shop elsewhere, and get good prices. There is alot of competition for consumer dollars here. It is sad to see what Walmart has done to some rural areas local businesses.
It is even more regretful that once the local businesses are gone due to Walmarts presence, they abandon the offerings that may not have been as profitable as others , with no regard to the customers who had come to depend on them.
Well I am sorry for the soap box... but somethings just make me mad.
I agree. I bought bug rings at Wal Mart this summer, becasue I couldn't find them anywhere else. But I decided in the future I'll do without them. Hate the way WalMarts go in to an area and fight the locals who don't want their land/culture/economy chewed up and replaced with a big box.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:02 AM

I got the very same E-mail-word for word- today and no feeling to it. The economy going the way it has won't be able to quilt much longer, can't give away the quilts I try to sell. Don't mind saying so myself the look pretty good.
But, back to W-mart Fabric, felt it was just as good as the $3.99-5.99 fabric at Jo-ann's.

Wal-mart isn't like it use to be.

:thumbup:
Old 07-30-2010, 05:05 AM

Most of you are lucky! you have somewhere else to shop!
In our county we have a few very small grocery/convience stores and giant eagle(which is high priced),a dollar tree and a dollar general!
So walmart gets the business!
we don't have anywhere else to buy food,clothes,pet food etc.
so they get my day to day business but we go 45 miles to a larger area to shop on weekends.