Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An email from WalMart >

An email from WalMart

An email from WalMart

Old 07-31-2010, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter
Maybe I'm the only one that sees this as a GOOD thing :) Those locally owned, sole proprietor LQS who can't come close to competing with Wal-Mart on price . . . .will stand a better chance of surviving as a result.

Across America, there are locally owned shoe stores,grocers, tire centers, hair/nail salons, photographers, etc. who spent a lifetime building up their business only to have business dry up when the Wal-Mart SuperCenter went in.
I c
Old 07-31-2010, 03:04 AM

[quote=quiltin mimi]
Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter
Maybe I'm the only one that sees this as a GOOD thing :) Those locally owned, sole proprietor LQS who can't come close to competing with Wal-Mart on price . . . .will stand a better chance of surviving as a result.

Across America, there are locally owned shoe stores,grocers, tire centers, hair/nail salons, photographers, etc. who spent a lifetime building up their business only to have business dry up when the Wal-Mart SuperCenter went in.
I completely agree.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:09 AM

I use to go to walmart all the time - mainly to talk to the girls that worked in fab, having a bad day buy some fab. then i would always pick up a few things in the store. well ---that was then NOW i shop closer to home. i don't go the extra mile.Walmart took a lot away from us when changing that dept. the store in Georgetown DE , doesn't even carry a spool of white thread.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Marye
Just read about Connecting Threads on another forum. They are all American made fabrics and are having sales going on. Look at that forum.
Marye, don't be afraid of Connecting Threads. I deal with them and they have great product. I live in a very out-of-the-way area and I usually get my order in about three days. Their sales are great, check out their clearance section.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:44 AM

If WM owns Joann's, I'm going to boycott them, also. I understand that there was an article about Hobby Lobby coming to town and then there is still Hancocks and several LQS.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:09 AM

Tthe only reason I started frequenting WM, when they first built, was because it was one stop shopping and extremely convenient especially in the Winter when the weather is so outrageous. I always frequent the fabric department and 99% of the time purchase fabric & notions.
We own a small retail store in No. VA and were almost put out of business when the big guys came to town. That was 30+ yrs ago and we are still in business there due to customer service and to customer loyalty. WM needs to listen to their customers from every cubicle in their big box.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by sewmagic
Hello from Florida this is my firt post!
My Wal Mart will expand their Electronic department. I think it makes them more $$$$$$$.
Sad to hear.
Welcome sewmagic! Poor WalMart. What will they do without me?

:lol: Since I can't find fabrics, thread, batting, etc. there, I go elsewhere for my grocery and pharmacy needs. In fact, what I save in gasoline, I use to support our small town grocer and pharmacy.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:44 AM

Actually, when we complained to a store manager about them taking fabric out, we got the best explaination. Everything is based on profit per square foot. Since most Walmarts are open 24/7 and the fabric dept. has to have an employee in it to cut fabric, etc., the fabric dept. couldn't make as much per square foot as they could with other products in it. They eliminated the need for an employee in that department by putting in shelves of "stuff" that people could just help themselves to. Sad, especially for those communities that don't have other stores carrying fabric.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:51 AM

This is why I dislike Walmart. They open a store in a small town, run all the competition out of business, and then sometimes decide that store isn't profitable and close it. In the town where my mom lived, after they closed the WM there, Mom couldn't even buy a sewing needle or spool of thread without driving 30 miles or more.

Now that they have run LQS's out of business in some towns/area, they are discontinuing the handling of bolt fabrics.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Oh well The 2 walmarts closest to me have been without fabric for so long I have almost forgotten that they even had it.