Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 &  2 >

The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 & 2

The Farmer's Wife Quilt -Along, Discussion Page for Blocks 1 & 2

Old 08-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Administrator

i happen to need some new potholders. ;-)

maybe next year we could hold a huge potholder swap. i'm sure i'll end up with some before this is over. :lol:
Old 08-06-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by maporch
Is anyone using the templates from the farmer's wife blog? The ones that print each template for one block together on a page? I am, since I bought the kindle version of the book, and I know some people had found some errors with these templates, I just wanted to check and see if anybody else had found problems with blocks 1 and 2 before I started. :)
the grouped templates for blocks 1 & 2 are all the right size. :-)
Thanks so much!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell
Ok, I have yet another question. Is there a "best way" to mark the 1/4 inch on the fabric? I read someone elses post which mentioned using a pencil. Ok, did that. Is there a perfect ruler or marker for this? I've never hand pieced this way.
Kooklabel,
I am hand piecing and have to mark my 1/4" and there is a really good ruler/marking tool for this. I'm going to try and include a picture...I've already forgotten how I posted the picture of my blocks just yesterday :roll: So I'm practicing with this pic...I keep thinking I'm going to click on the wrong thing and look later to see every picture I've ever taken posted here :oops: I guess I'll get more comfortable as I do it more often. Anyway, back to the ruler.

It's just a small 1/4" square piece of acrylic that I got at Joann's-I can't remember how much it was but it couldn't have been much for me to have gotten it. The ruler in the back has nothing to do with it I just put it in the pic so you could get a size prospective. I really like it because if I've cut a little bit crooked when I'm joining two pieces it kind of becomes my new straight line. Hope this might help you.

I love this section because I'm seeing a lot of my questions answered before I even ask them :thumbup:

1/4" seam marker
[ATTACH=CONFIG]92782[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-92777.jpe
Views:	61
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	92782  
Old 08-06-2010, 05:40 PM

A friend gave me what I thought was a good hint today, about pressing all those little pieces, she said to get a good crisp press to put away my nice padded ironing board, get a board, put one layer of warm and natural on it and cover it with muslin (or anything cotton) and use it to press, it made a nice difference for me. I put it on a wood tv tray (right height) next to the sewing machine and now don't have to get up to press either.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:44 PM

Great hint, thanks QBird
Muriel
Old 08-06-2010, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
I know I shouldn't do this but what the heck, I'm now a VIP chairperson --I like the Boneyfingers Title better than the Humpty Dumpty one. Anyway. I just Pm"d another member
with this and I had to share it with all of you.
Take a look at this block-----I worked on it off and on all evening. I have to do it over I was really tired yesterday,Had the grandchildren all day Tuesday. I measured and checked each quarter. They were coming up at 3- 1/2 inches. I said to myself ugg! I have to trim a 1/4 inch and now I have to worry about having enough seam for the points. So I started hacking away then put it all together. I measured again--OHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I did it and now I am soooooo(*&*%^%$%@) I have to do it over again! The block is 1/4 " short all around. I can't believe i did that. So my advice to you is don't put a rotary cutter in your hands when you are tired. Anne
And that's a hard block to do too. At least it was for me. All those itty-bitty triangles. Even paper piecing them was a pain. I've had to redo a couple of blocks and I can't use the excuse I was tired.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:30 AM

I've posted something on the main discussion board that all will want to read and comment on. So don't forget to check it out.
Its on page 86
Muriel
Old 08-07-2010, 11:02 AM

Where did you say are the rottary cut instruccions? I need them for block #2. Please... I have done Attic's window using the paper piece technique and it wasn't easy. I had to use a tutorial as this technique is totally outside of my comfort zone. Help please
thanks andrea
Old 08-07-2010, 01:31 PM

There is a link for them at the bottom of the Introduction page.
Muriel
Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 AM

Hi Andii,

THANK YOU! That ruler would be absolutely perfect!! I'm going to go look for one today before I start the basket squrare! The problem i was having with the larger ruler was that I couldn't see if I was right on the edge of the fabric or not. This will be perfect. Thanks again.

Patricia - Kooklabell

Originally Posted by Andii
Originally Posted by Kooklabell
Ok, I have yet another question. Is there a "best way" to mark the 1/4 inch on the fabric? I read someone elses post which mentioned using a pencil. Ok, did that. Is there a perfect ruler or marker for this? I've never hand pieced this way.
Kooklabel,
I am hand piecing and have to mark my 1/4" and there is a really good ruler/marking tool for this. I'm going to try and include a picture...I've already forgotten how I posted the picture of my blocks just yesterday :roll: So I'm practicing with this pic...I keep thinking I'm going to click on the wrong thing and look later to see every picture I've ever taken posted here :oops: I guess I'll get more comfortable as I do it more often. Anyway, back to the ruler.

It's just a small 1/4" square piece of acrylic that I got at Joann's-I can't remember how much it was but it couldn't have been much for me to have gotten it. The ruler in the back has nothing to do with it I just put it in the pic so you could get a size prospective. I really like it because if I've cut a little bit crooked when I'm joining two pieces it kind of becomes my new straight line. Hope this might help you.

I love this section because I'm seeing a lot of my questions answered before I even ask them :thumbup: