Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you do other crafts besides quilting> >

Do you do other crafts besides quilting>

Do you do other crafts besides quilting>

Old 08-07-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sue Fish
I took pics recently of some of the cross stitch samplers I have done...I have about 32 of them in my kitchen alone and many others around the house..
Sue, How many years have you been cross stitching? Your projects are beautiful! Love the way you have them grouped.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by candlequilter
I do all sorts of crafts from crocheting, knitting, cross stitch, needlepoint, and candle carving. Here are just a few pictures of my candles.
Gosh-a-mighty candlequilter! Your candle carving is awesome! Do you think up your design as you carve? Do you paint the candle after it is carved? How do you get the different colors?
Old 08-07-2010, 06:01 AM

I have two daughters who are very tall for their age (DH is 6'8") so I make most of their clothes and we do lots of crafts together. They like the cross stitch boxes, beads, scrapbooking and so much more. We're working our way through yarn crafts now.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
Originally Posted by raptureready
I paint, scrapbook, sew clothing, dabble in genealogy, watercolor, embroidery, make cards, bake, make small crafts(potholders, pincushions, etc), and Prismacolor pencils. I have done candlewicking, candle making, soap making, jewelry, rock polishing, wood burning, wood carving, doll making, gardening, rug making, knitting, crocheting, macrame, etc. If it's caught my eye I've tried it.
That sounds like me! If it caught my eye, I learned to do it. The only things that stuck are painting, quilting and I still do some crochet.....
Here is a big rug I crocheted about 20 years ago and a couple of my paintings.....
Beautiful rug! And the paintings! You are very talented. I always thought I would like to learn how to paint. At one time, many years ago I "painted" photos (that was before colored prints were invented!) for a photographer. The image was there and I jus added paint to enhance the photo.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:11 AM

Knitting and beading..not the small beads but necklaces, bracelets and earrings that you can finish in a couple of hours.
dottie
Old 08-07-2010, 06:19 AM

Before I began quilting, I did counted Cross Stitching for over 30 years.. Due to becoming Legally Blind ( according to DMV, and my eye surgeon , but not according to me ), my eyes can't handle the small stitching any longer.. Out of sheer boredom, I walked into a store, saw a quilt hanging, and thought " I can do that! ", so set out trying to come up with material at home to do just that.. my first ugly quilt ever. haha, but since, then enjoy quilting , just not as much as CCS... I also make , when I have materials , greeting cards, with embellishments, ect I find here at home. I dont know if any other scrap bookers/ card makers are on this board, but would love to see some of your creations if so.. and maybe do some kind of pay it forward, or giveaway/ trade for scrapbooking stuff too.. Afterall, quilters aren't the only ones who are generous with our fabrics, and such.. ( I love being a dual diagnosis " client " -quilter/cardmaker...
Old 08-07-2010, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I mostly quilt, sew and embroder, but I can crochet just a bit, knot a bit, and I love making cards and rubber stamping too!
Old 08-07-2010, 06:44 AM

i used to cross stitch and hook rugs now I
crochet
knit
make cards
I taught myself to tat.
beading / jewelry)
painting (had a picture in the london art gallery many years ago don't paint anymore)
polymer clay (for card making)
photography
macrame
dressmaking
candle making (in the past not now)
soap making
pottery (hand not turned did realy well till I couldn't handle the workload and suffered burnout)
baking/cooking
gardening
and of course breeding my beautiful cats
Old 08-07-2010, 07:09 AM

Wow, I've got more hobbies than energy to do them all. :-D

In no particular order:

Sewing clothes
Quilting (mostly little art quilts)
Beading, jewelry making
Photography (never go anywhere without a point and shoot now)
Writing
Art journaling (this incorporates painting, drawing, and collage)
Digital art (Make a collage or drawing, scan it in, print it on fabric, and head up to #2 :thumbup: )
Woodturning (in winter only)

Whichever one I have the most energy for is what I do. Right now its art journaling.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:13 AM

I LOVE your candles. For weddings, I buy the carved candles at a store in Holland, MI. Do you sell yours?