Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hand Quilting >

Hand Quilting

Hand Quilting

Old 08-13-2010, 11:10 AM

I love what i do and yes i machine quilt. I am not in it for competiton with any one and I don't sell my quilts I give mine away. In saying that each to their own rather it is machine or hand quilting alot of time and love go into these quilts. I piece my on machine and quilt on machine by FMQ I don't have the fancy long arm although i wish I did I don't think it makes any quilt less important weather it is hand or machine quilted. I think both are equally just as important and beautiful.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:07 PM

Absolutely beautiful work, keep it up.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:32 PM

STUNNING!! I agree with you wholeheartedly. The quilt shows to me are disapointing because there is very little hand quilting represented. I hope it is not going to completely die out. I know quilts can't be finished as fast by hand. I have a stack myself that need to be finished. As to the statement they they won't hold up under rough use, I have several quilts from the 1930's that are in very good condition. From what I've seen the stitching holds up better than some of the fabrics. I do like some of the machine quilting but just prefer the soft look of hand quilting.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:22 PM

Your work is spectacular!! I am a newbie at quilting and am in the process of cutting out fabric to make a scrap quilt. I intend to hand piece it and hand quilt it. It may take some time, but hey, I am not going anywhere. It will definitely be a keeper.

Your work is very inspiring and it gives me the motivation to pursue with my hand work. Thank you for sharing these pictures.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:26 PM

They are both great Art work...I did hand quilting at one time, but now do my best with machine as I have a lot of quilts to make...I use my own sewing machine for quilting but the longarms are an art all by them selves now
Old 08-13-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by ngabrielle
Your work is spectacular!! I am a newbie at quilting and am in the process of cutting out fabric to make a scrap quilt. I intend to hand piece it and hand quilt it. It may take some time, but hey, I am not going anywhere. It will definitely be a keeper.

Your work is very inspiring and it gives me the motivation to pursue with my hand work. Thank you for sharing these pictures.
Thank you. I am glad I could help.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:46 AM

i do agree that hand quilting should be judged differntly from the machine quilts at quilt shows because alot more time goes into the hand quilt way more time and I do think hand quilts are very pretty. I have a friend that hand quilts still. She does beautiful work.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:54 PM

Thank you for sharing all of your beautiful work. I'm a novice at hand quilting and I can only hope I can do half as well as you.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:37 AM

Wow - you do beautiful work!!!
I love and prefer hand quilting, whether it's the perfect stitches of some I've seen or the folk art stitching, but am trying to teach myself to make consistently even stitches. I'm slightly intimidated by the whole thing and if I could relax, I think I would be okay. My "consistent stitches" tend to be very small. I know the key is practice, practice, practice. So far I've only used muslin quilt squares for practice, but I've decided to hand quilt a table quilt, with the hope that once started, I'll stay with it and by the time it's finished my stitches will be more acceptable. I would appreciate any advice for speeding up this learning process. I also admire machine quilting, much of which is truly amazing art. It's also what I do on quilts for kids that I know aren't going to take the best of care of their quilt. In any case, don't worry, we do love your hand quilting!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:58 AM

I'm still in the beginning stages of quilting and am a bit scared of hand quilting, I do admit. I do hope to start doing some on a handful of things that I know will be around for many years (a story quilt of sorts that I am making for my DH and I - it will start out being tied and as the years go by I plan on quilting our life story in it :)). One of the main reasons I came back to quilting was b/c crocheting was hurting my hands so bad... at the ripe old age of 18 I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and each year it seems to get worse (I'm 26 now). I guess fear is standing in my way more than anything.

Beautiful work though! I feel like I am cheating every time I machine quilt something... it is such an art!