Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
OK, so there I was looking for a house..... >

OK, so there I was looking for a house.....

OK, so there I was looking for a house.....

Old 08-23-2010, 10:26 AM

OH My it IS beautiful!!! Lucky you! Enjoy!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by wordpaintervs
OH MY GOODNESS. How exciting is that! Makes my writing fingers itch, just thinking on it. That and a potential home as well. What a day. Here is a quick little thing off the top of my head to celebrate your good fortune.

THE HOME
The house closed its eyes so it might better concentrate on the footsteps of the couple now entering its front door. Now it smiled at the excitement rising inside the mind of the female side of the lookers of him...the house. The house liked the people very well, for they were of a warm and loving nature. It knew they would warm its walls and truly make it morph into a home where that love would live.

He hoped they would like the one room that was his very favorite one. It was small but held light. What a nice craft room it would make. Perhaps the lady was a sewer. Having thought this thing, the house visualized the spreading out of colors upon a cutting table, and a flanneled wall upon which patterns would come to life. How they would shine in the light shining fromt the rooms window.

The house opened its eyes now and watched as its rooms were inspected and talked of. Now, had they been a house themselves, they would have felt a slight tipping of the home forward, as it bent its roof in prayer like tribute to the real creator of all things.

He hoped they would buy this place of wood and plaster......and love. LIFE WAS GOOD.

Vickey Stamps
Oh that is a lovely poem. (Tearing up here). Funny it almost feels like you were with us there.
It is a funny looking house by some standards, but the "look" is us. It even has a funny little room between the 2 bedrooms downstairs. Sort of like a hide-a-way. It actually links these 2 rooms by way of the closets. I can't get thru it but a child could easily... LOL.
Not sure which room will become the sewing room though cuz hubby mentioned that one room would make a great "Poker" room...... I ask ya, what the heck is a Poker room? That one has to be a first for me. I've heard Computer room, Den, oh and let us not forget Man-Cave, but Poker room? I think that has to be a first. This subject will be discussed in depth at a later date I assure you. LOL!!

Vickey, thank you so much for that wonderful poem and the well wishes. You are very talented. If you don't mind, I would love to copy it and save it for when we do find that "perfect" house.
Talk to you all soon,
Faith
Old 08-23-2010, 12:03 PM

Faith,
The Singer 66 and 99 are the same machine as far as the guts of the machine. The 99 is a smaller version of the 66.
They both thread the same and everything.
Sharon W.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:12 PM

Faith,
From looking at your pictures, you only need to oil your new machine to get it sewing. The decal pattern is called
"red head" or "red eye", one of my favorite ones. I've not been lucky enough to find one in my price range yet.
I have 2 working Singer treadles and I used them frequently.
Sharon W.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Colbaltjars62
Originally Posted by wordpaintervs
OH MY GOODNESS. How exciting is that! Makes my writing fingers itch, just thinking on it. That and a potential home as well. What a day. Here is a quick little thing off the top of my head to celebrate your good fortune.

THE HOME
The house closed its eyes so it might better concentrate on the footsteps of the couple now entering its front door. Now it smiled at the excitement rising inside the mind of the female side of the lookers of him...the house. The house liked the people very well, for they were of a warm and loving nature. It knew they would warm its walls and truly make it morph into a home where that love would live.

He hoped they would like the one room that was his very favorite one. It was small but held light. What a nice craft room it would make. Perhaps the lady was a sewer. Having thought this thing, the house visualized the spreading out of colors upon a cutting table, and a flanneled wall upon which patterns would come to life. How they would shine in the light shining fromt the rooms window.

The house opened its eyes now and watched as its rooms were inspected and talked of. Now, had they been a house themselves, they would have felt a slight tipping of the home forward, as it bent its roof in prayer like tribute to the real creator of all things.

He hoped they would buy this place of wood and plaster......and love. LIFE WAS GOOD.

Vickey Stamps
Oh that is a lovely poem. (Tearing up here). Funny it almost feels like you were with us there.
It is a funny looking house by some standards, but the "look" is us. It even has a funny little room between the 2 bedrooms downstairs. Sort of like a hide-a-way. It actually links these 2 rooms by way of the closets. I can't get thru it but a child could easily... LOL.
Not sure which room will become the sewing room though cuz hubby mentioned that one room would make a great "Poker" room...... I ask ya, what the heck is a Poker room? That one has to be a first for me. I've heard Computer room, Den, oh and let us not forget Man-Cave, but Poker room? I think that has to be a first. This subject will be discussed in depth at a later date I assure you. LOL!!

Vickey, thank you so much for that wonderful poem and the well wishes. You are very talented. If you don't mind, I would love to copy it and save it for when we do find that "perfect" house.
Talk to you all soon,
Faith
I do not mind at all your making a copy. I am glad you liked it. It only took a very few moments to do. Let me send one I shared with someone else today. You might like it as well. Guess I have written over 400 things over the years. See below. Vickey Stamps.

HERE IT IS....
THE FIDDLER
Vickey Stamps 8/20/09

The old man cradled his violin across and over his heart, the rosined strings
to the bow freshly applied. Now he stepped down as gently as he could upon his arthritic legs, grateful there were only a few steps to the sidewalk. The home was older than he was and he thought perhaps that was enough to say about it.

It was the deep dusk just after sunset and before the dark of true night. He had finished up a brief performance with a local blue grass music band, replacing an ill member. It didn't matter a great deal to him what music rose from his touch, be it blue grass or a symphony. It mattered only in the notes that came forward flowing up into the air around him and covering him with the sounds. Emma, his
beloved late wife, used to sit quietly in their home as he would play one tune after another, standing before the hearth place, whether a fire burned within or not.

It didn't seem like it had already been five years since the Lord had lifted her
up from her sick bed, and carried her away. She had only had a lung infection.
Now he only saw her in his mind. He smiled to himself, thinking he would play for her at their favorite place to visit. The park was just a few blocks away.

A willow tree with its leaf filled limbs hung down, clothed in green finery,
nearly touching the ground. Other trees kept it company in the old park,
but seemed not to make such a statement as the willow did.

By the sidewalk fronting the street, sat the old bench with its rod iron arms and backing. Its aged and once splintered wooden seat worn thin and smooth by those who stopped to rest and ponder while sitting upon its surface. He and his wife Emma, had had their share of conversations while there. It was almost always about their grown up family and the world in general. He could almost see her gentle smile and the twinkle of her eyes as they shared a bit of humor
between themselves.

Now he fitted the violin beneath his chin, closing his eyes and waiting for the inspiration to come. It would not be long. He knew that to be a true thing.
Unbeknown to him, a young couple watched him in shadow, and from beneath the leaves of the willow tree. They had come to snuggle there and talk of their caring for one another. Their love was a thing only recently discovered.
Her head rested on his shoulder. His arms were around her in a gentle
expression of a new and young love. They sat there in silence waiting for
the performance to begin.

Soon tender, gentle, softly sad notes rose up, following one and then another, the bow bending itself to make the music intended. Had the willow tree been able at that time to truly weep, it would surely have done so.

Even insects inside the trees bark peeked out to see what was going on. A ground squirrel raised its head above its burrow fully intending to chastise the human for disrupting its rest, but instead, sank its head down upon the grass and let the notes
soothe it as well.

The young woman's tears began to pour forth, for surely the old man was playing a love song for them. Her tears wet her sweethearts shirt upon which she had leaned her head. He gathered her closer in care and reassurance as the love song continued.
It made him think of the world and what he could do to become a better part of it.
Perhaps tomorrow he would participate in more good will to his fellowman.
He would think of the old mans music and perhaps be more caring.

The fiddlers chest had begun to ache and he thought perhaps he would stop now, instead of playing another song and maybe rest for awhile on the old bench. Funny how much more than in all his previous visits, had his Emma's presence been felt.
She seemed to sit quietly in the center of the bench, just where she had sat in real life.
It was if she wished him to come there and take her hand. He thought perhaps he would do that and he did.

The young couple quietly left without being detected from their cover under the old tree.
The insects hid again behind the bark and the ground squirrel returned to tell his family about the concert he had attended.

Meanwhile, Emma leaned her gray head against her husbands shoulder and reached for his hand. The patrolman would find the old man there later, and wonder why he
had passed away alone and perhaps unloved. He would not know the Creator had sent Emma to bring him home.

The old fiddle would find a new home as would the bow. It would surely bring with it a sense of love, for that was all it had known in its Fiddle life.

LIFE WAS GOOD
Old 08-23-2010, 12:47 PM

Thank you Sharon,
I was wondering what the difference was. I need to find a "pitman arm" for it. The 3 sticks that came with it are pretty beat up. They look home made also. Of course I'm sure that you couldn't just walk into the nearest sewing machine store and ask for a Pitman arm. Something tells me you'd get that "Deer in the headlight look" at least you would now-a-days. LOL
Well cool, you seem to know quite abit about treadles yourself.
I did get some attachments with it as well as a manual for both a 66 and 99. Not sure yet what the attachments are but I will look them up. I do have to ask. The site I went to mentioned that there was a quilting attachment or foot. Since you know more than I about this machine I was wondering if you have ever quilted with yours.
If so I may be picking yer brain a little when I get to that point.
Thanks for your help and I will chat again with you soon.
Faith :-D
Old 08-23-2010, 12:56 PM

OK I'm bawling now!! Oh Vickey that is a wonderful poem. So sad yet so beautiful, you are so very talented. Darling you have a true calling I hope you know that. Have you ever been published? I do hope so.
Beautiful, just beautiful.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:21 PM

I am so jealous! I learned to sew on my grandmother's treadle and even though I don't NEED one (or neeeed it, as my Emma would say) I would buy one in a heart beat if I found one in good condition.

I am so happy for you.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:16 PM

WoW....Interesting! An older batchelor gentlemen we have tea with at Denny's lives in his parents home. He is wanting to clean out the attic/storage. Yeah...theres alot of nice antiques in that house in excellent condition that he is totaly unaware of or doesn't care!

When he learned I was into quilting he asked if I wanted his mother/grandmothers old manual sewing machine!
ahh dud, yeahh!
I don't have it yet, but am looking forward to getting it when he finds time to dig it out. Happy to hear alot of you are using the old manuals. I guess they are heavy duty?
Old 08-23-2010, 03:19 PM

WOW who cares about a house when you can find a machine like that!!