Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Long Marriages------------ Thank you >

Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Old 08-27-2010, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honey
There is one thing that I have observed over the years. Divorce can be contagious. If one set of friends gets a divorce, you can almost plan on another set splitting. From the outside it looks so easy and painless when in actuality, for me at least, it would be harder than a death.
I may not be remembering correctly but didn't it start with "no fault" divorce???
Old 08-27-2010, 05:47 AM

We celebrated our 55th this July...a long time together and worth every minute! So many memories, so much love shared, 2 wonderful sons, 6 grandchildren and 7 [soon to be 9] 'Greats'...who could ask for more!!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 05:47 AM

We will be married 64 years in October and we knew each other three years before that. I just turned 16 and he was 18 and in the Navy when we met. We had to grow up and win the war and then we married. Told my mother I met the man I am going to marry the first day I saw him in person. My brother gave him my address for someone to write to and that is how we met. My mother laughed, of course.
We are both in good health and live in our own home and keep busy. The door is always open for anyone who needs help and we walk to church every Sunday.
Our answer to anyone how we managed to live together this long, we both agree, love the other person more than yourself.
Carol J.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:19 AM

Great Post!
My husband and I have been married 40 years (June)
We were married 2 weeks after graduating high school.
He started his first full time job 1 week after graduating
from high school. And had $50.00 in the bank.
Everyone said we were too young and the marriage
would not last. We are still in love today as we were 40 years ago. And hope we have another 40 together. :thumbup:
Old 08-27-2010, 06:31 AM
Dkm

I married when I was 17 and have been married for 45 years. Yes times I think we all want to walk away at some point. I wish that when couples take their vows they would really believe that it is until death do we part. Divorce is a part of this world and sometimes cannot be avoided. My daughter is divorced and stayed in her marriage a little to long, why, because she loved us so much, and we had brought her up to believe in marriage. She felt she was letting us down.
To you newbies: Marriage takes work, but most of all LOVE. Think of marriage just as stages of your life in growing up. WOW can you remember all the changes you've gone through. Growing old together is fun....soon you will be thinking alike and maybe even looking alike LOL that could be good or bad. Enjoy each day you have together.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:41 AM

We will be married 57 years in Oct.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:33 AM

We celebrated our 50th in June. No it was not always rosie but I can truthfully say I never met anyone I would swap him equal for. There were times when we could have knocked a knot on the opposites head but there has been more times when my world lite up when he walked into the room, as the saying goes We laughed, We cried, We became a part of each other.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:36 AM

My Hubby and I have been married 39 years this past July. I am sure there were times we both could have throwen in the towel. But we stuck it out. Now as we grow old togeather we realized that God had His hand on this marriage all the time. We have two daughters who both have been married and divorced. It happens even when parents set the standards.They both have wonderful godly husbands now. My husband and I often tell people. Yep, John and I will get a divorce when we figure each other out. And that is not likely to happen. LOL I have MS and I don't have any idea what I would do without my hubby. God knew what He was doing when He created John for me. And I praise Him everyday. You youngings hang in there it is worth the time and effert. You can't change the other person ,only yourself.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:42 AM

Thank you so much for your comments, Abby. My husband
( best friend) and I have been married for 46 years. We got married only knowing each other for 9 months and only dating for about 30 days. Since we were only 19 and 21, I consider us extremely lucky. Yes you do have to work HARD at it most the time, but God is watching all of the time.To all of you young marrieds out there...a good marriage is definitely worth working for.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:22 AM

My hubby and I have been married for 27 years and I can't even imagine my life without him. We are like the river that flows into the ocean, it can never be separated again. There's no way to pull the river water out of the ocean water, it's all blended together now. It's one, we are one. I adore him more than words can say.

Abbyquilts, thank you for your kind post. It sounds like you and your husband are off to a great start. I am wishing you both a long happy life of togetherness.