Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Long Marriages------------ Thank you >

Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Old 08-25-2010, 09:41 PM

(I was reading another post about a wedding anniversary and I felt urged to post)

I want to thank all of you who have been in your marriage a long time.

Although things can happen and divorce can happen to anyone. I am not judging.

For those of you that have been in a marriage a long time you are an inspiration.
When divorces can be $350 if you just file the papers and walk away. Younger generations have no idea what it takes to make a marriage last. They have not grown up and seen it.
I was 17 and engaged before I met someone who was still married after many many years. (They are celebrating 50 years next year!)

So although you may not know it you are hope. You are not trying to be but you are a role model. When a young couple sees you and knows how many years you have you give them that little feeling what if we can do that too.

Everyone I know was divorced, my parents, my friends parents my aunts everyone.
My grandparents probably would have still been married but both of my grandfathers past away before I was born so I never saw it.

I am a young wife just past 9 years. I almost walked away once and I came back as I thought my marriage was worth fighting for.

I will say again Thank you
Old 08-25-2010, 09:56 PM

Me too. I want to extend my thanks. I'm a newlywed, coming up on 2 years next month.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:23 PM

I love your post AbbyQuilts. Made me stop and think.
My husband and I have been married 34 years. We've grown to appreciate each others' strengths and try to overlook all those weaknesses. It's not easy but it is worth it.
It saddens me when I see young people give up on each other and on themselves so quickly in life.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:23 PM

Yeah, i grew up and everybody in my family has been divorced, most more than once (with the exception of my grandparents).

When I met my dh, i could not believe that he did not have any divorces in his family. Although they had one in the last few years, which really rocked the whole family.

I was very blessed to marry a very Godly man, will be married for 24 years next year!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Power Poster

I was married 6 months shy of 25 years. Not divorced, but widowed. I never once thought of leaving, but once in awhile I would like to have swatted him. My mom was married, widowed, remarried to a not nice person, and still married when she passed. My Grandma was married for over 30 years before she was widowed. My greatgrandparents were married over 50 years. Same thing on my Dad's side. I had an uncle who was divorced. It was kept secret and we kids didn't even know because it was something to be ashamed of at that time. My generation, however has a lot of divorces. I think it is a sign of what is happening with our culture. It is easier to leave than to stick it out! And like you said $350. My house payment is more than that.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:21 PM

Thank you so much. My DH and I have been married for 48 years and people said we wouldn't last 6 months. There were many hard times and it was a struggle to remember the marriage was more important than any issue. We still work to make our relationship a good one. The rewards far outweigh the hard times.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:28 PM

It's all about 2 people giving 150% and forgiving 100%. We're going on 22 years and we love each other more each day.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:45 AM

We celebrated our 38th Anniversary in the beginning of August. We met on June 17, 1972 and were married on August 7th the same year! I was only 18.

Everyone said it wouldn't last. The sad part is of all the brothers, sisters, inlaws and cousins, only one other couple besides us are still married to each other. A few are on their 3rd and 4th marriages.

I have a very difficult time understanding how a person can just walk away from a marriage unless there is physical or mental abuse! It is their business, not mine.

I wish everyone the marriage my husband and I enjoy! I can't imagine my life without him. He is still loving, fun, supportive, and my very best friend.

I am sorry to hear that your husband passed, Sadiemae! I couldn't imagine how lost you must feel! My thoughts and prayers are with you and remember even if he isn't physically with you now, he still is spiritially. Hugs!

To the newlyweds, I wish you all a very long and happy marriage. Yes it is possible!!!
:) :) :)
Old 08-26-2010, 02:29 AM

My husband and I will celebrate 26 years on the 7th of September. We met on June 5th, 1984, had our first date on the first friday of 1984, married on September 7, 1984 and have been married since. We have had our problems and nearly divorced twice but worked it out instead. We have been through the worst thing that can happen to a marriage (the death of a child as we buried our only daughter when she was 3 months 10 days old) and have never suffered through infidelity on either part. todays' young people can't imagine the kind of marriage DH and I have had and don't believe me when I say we have never had a single arguement. DH and I are more in love today than we were when we met.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:02 AM

46 years this past May and it is very hard sometimes especially in the beginning.