Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Long Marriages------------ Thank you >

Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Long Marriages------------ Thank you

Old 08-27-2010, 01:17 PM

We have been married for 53 years, and we are still going strong! We met in high school, went steady for quite a while, and finally decided to get married in 1957. We were blessed in having 4 children, and now we have 8 lovely grandchildren.
We have had health problems (breast CA for me, and 3 cancer scares for my husband), but that only brought us closer together. Without God's help daily in our lives, I don't know where we would have ended up.
So to all you newly married couples, always put your partner first in all things, cherish him/her with all your heart, and greet your partner with a kiss every morning and when you go to bed at night! It will truly work for you!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

I think "happily ever after" is a myth.

There may be days when everything will be a challenge. Some days one of you may not like him/her self -

You know that saying "love your neighbor as yourself"? If one doesn't love/like oneself, what chance do the ones around one have?

THAT being said - it is important to love each other - I do not think it is necessary to LIKE everything that the other one does -

It's also helpful to take turns being out of sorts -
Old 08-27-2010, 01:38 PM

I appreciate where you're coming from but I come from an opposite circumstance. I'm the only divorced person. Sometimes it isn't about what you can do. I stayed and stayed and stayed but if the other person is unwilling to change, then there's nothing you can do. I wanted and wished to be like my parents and grandparents. So I"m in a situation I never ever expected to be in. He regrets it now but you can't turn back time.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Married 44 years and going strong. Staying together and working through tough times makes the marriage grow stronger, like making new challenging quilt. Worth all the work in the long run and very rewarding in the end.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by MillieH
My DH and I will celebrate our 47th anniversary next Tuesday (8-31). We have two fine sons who have chosen us wonderful daughters-in-law and four grandchildren.

My DH had a stroke in 2001 and is now in early stages of Alzheimer's. Last week we began working with a therapist who specializes in Alzheimer's patients. During the testing, the therapist asked him to write one complete sentence about anything. He wrote "I love my wife."

My advice for a long marriage is to put your spouse first, even above yourself. Of course, this works only if both spouses adhere to this practice.
Your story is so sweet. It brought tears to my eyes as I read it to my wonderful DH of almost 41 years.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:42 PM

My DH and I have been married for 53 years. good years. Never trouble in the marriage, just some lean years. four great kids and 7 grandkids. I give God the glory for that. Good marriages do not just happen. It takes work on both sides. unfortunatly these days, it's too easy to give up. I was blessed, I married my very best friend, and after 53 years, we still hold hands, makes our grandkids snicker. On our 50th, the kids gave us a great celebration. In his card, my son, said that the best gift we ever gave him was the sense of stability in our home. He never had to give one min. worry about our family ever breaking up. I guess that was the nicest thing he could have said.
Sherill, I am so sorry for your loss. it's so fresh that it must be hard to read these stories. I hope you know there will be lots of new prayers going up on your behalf in the next few months. These ladies are a great support group
Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by MillieH
My DH and I will celebrate our 47th anniversary next Tuesday (8-31). We have two fine sons who have chosen us wonderful daughters-in-law and four grandchildren.

My DH had a stroke in 2001 and is now in early stages of Alzheimer's. Last week we began working with a therapist who specializes in Alzheimer's patients. During the testing, the therapist asked him to write one complete sentence about anything. He wrote "I love my wife."

My advice for a long marriage is to put your spouse first, even above yourself. Of course, this works only if both spouses adhere to this practice.
God bless you. What a wonderful picture of a beautiful marriage!
Old 08-27-2010, 03:08 PM
joy

It will be 55 years for us end of October... still going strong. Just remember that nothing is perfect.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:45 PM

I have tears running down my face from reading such wonderful stories. I have been married for 52 years in Nov. and the first 30+ years were miserable, I didn't leave because I had three children and no place to go. I am thankful for my beautiful children and grandchildren and I guess I am in it for life. Having said all that, I realize I married with stars in my eyes and my feet were not planted on solid ground, so I share the blame. A good marriage is about choosing the right one for you. I know my DH loves me and appreciates that I hung in there. I read a card the other day, "You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be perfect for each other."
Old 08-27-2010, 03:54 PM

My second marriage was to a marvelous man, and we were
married for 39 1/2 years before ill health and a stroke took him
from me. That was 3 years ago, and I still miss him. My kids and
friends say there's other men out there, but I'm not ready yet.
May never be. He'd be a hard act to follow. Went on a back packing honeymoon, and every year I go back to our beloved
Yosemite Valley to feed the memories. After a broken ankle I can't go on the mountain trails any more, but the Valley itself is
still lovely and has the gentle paths we used to walk on so long ago.