question about finances

Old 08-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

I usually make scrappy quilts, that way, when I see a fabric I love I can buy a small amount to put in a scrap quilt!
I buy from the classifieds here, and have gotten some great deals. I never buy new quilt magazines, get them from rummage sales or the libray, or get your ideas here for free!
Old 08-30-2010, 04:55 PM

I try to find craigslist or something like that and buy in bulk. I search the value village and other stores. I buy on ebay sometimes you can get stuff in bulk and it is good. I found at target in their bedding area an item called tapestry it is a large 90x110 or such piece of fabric which would be perfect for a backing for around $10. I even for a project put an ad in craigslist for those who would like to get rid of their extra stash to dontate to me. I did receive a wonderful response just be honest. Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:08 PM

I'm on a fixed income, and DH has been trying to find work for over two years now. So my vow for this year was to buy NO new fabric if at all possible, and to try to finish up my UFOs. I'd sure love to send them out...but never have...and never will. Just too expensive. I make for charities, not as heirlooms. I also don't participate in the swaps of things. For one reason I can't handle the pressure of having to have something done at a specific time; and the second was that my "mailing" money fund went to send care packages to my adopted soldier, so I had to proritize.

Hang in there, and I'm soon you'll continue to enjoy your hobby for years to come.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:26 AM

So I guess I am going to cut back.

I have read more responses, and thanks again ladies for the info . Instead of doing a whole bunch, I will have to cut back to two or three.

and as for the packages, I used those large bubble envelopes! Now will check those flat rate boxes and , do my own labels. I knew there was an answer!

again thanks a bunch!

someone mentioned "adopted soldier?" how do we get into that? see? I jumped into another project!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:31 AM

I have been TRYING to organize my fabric (long time) and am using "boards" for the "core" - so far, I have used over 200 boards - some have one or 2 fabrics on them---I STILL have about 100 to go...........you are wondering how many quilts have I COMPLETED lately..............not that many BUT I CAN"T STOP BUYING!!......seriously - this is a serious problem (that I THOROUGHLY enjoy.....what is a fabric/notions quilter to do?????
Old 08-31-2010, 06:47 AM

I am on a fixed income too. I never did send my tops out to be machine quilted. It was just too expensive, and then I felt like my passion for quilting wasn't a hobby anymore. My favorite quilts for family and myself, I handquilted myself. Now if I can 't machine quilt it myself, I tie the quilt. It still turns out so pretty and economical. I have FMS and Lupus and I find that heavily quilted quilts are too heavy on my body, and really aren't as warm as a tied, more puffy quilt. So far, when I do find fabric I like and it is on sale really cheap, I will buy it and put in my stash for the future. I know someday, I need to stop buying at all, and then I can rely on my stash. Thanks for all the ideas. Marilyn from SW MN
Old 08-31-2010, 06:56 AM

It takes time but garage sales are a great resource for fabric. Be picky, though, you can find good quality fabric but I would pass on any cheaply made yardage. I've found some really nice fabrics this way!
Old 08-31-2010, 06:57 AM

yes I did find some this last weekend, some was still on bolt, about 4 yards for a dollar! and is cotton, and got a pretty design. thanks. Mary
Old 08-31-2010, 12:01 PM

A friend brought me a whole grocery bag of selvage edges this morning and I still have muslin to sew them to. I was thinking of making some neat placemats.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:09 PM

I made a list of quilts I wanted to make and decided to use my existing stash. I also try to make things for presents. Aprons, napkins, tablerunners, pillowcases, placemats, etc. It is always fun to use that stash up!