Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hand Quilting >

Hand Quilting

Hand Quilting

Old 09-22-2010, 01:07 PM

I too prefer to hand quilt. It is a great time to let my mind roam, to watch (listen to) TV, to work out a problem. Although I've been doing it for quite a while, it was extremely slow for me. Until, I bought "that perfect stitch" by Roxanne McElroy. Not only did my speed increase tremendously, but my stitches are more consistent. I do machine quilt, though I'm not very good at it.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:01 PM

I would love to perfect my machine quilting but I love the feel I get from hand quilting. It is a perfect tool to relax with.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:01 PM

Oh My!!!! You are my Hero!!!! I too handquilt and hope to one day be half as good as you!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:14 PM

Your hand quilting is beautiful! I wish I could still do it. :(
I've got carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist and elbow tendonitis, so hand quilting isn't possible any more. I really miss hand quilting, it is so relaxing, but not worth the pain it causes. My hand quilting was beautiful, I'd learned to make small, even stitches.
Making my quilts all by machine, makes it possible for me to still make the quilts I love to make.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:59 PM

I love all your quilts. Over the years I have decided that I love to hand quilt.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Margie
Your quilts are fabulous. I dont think anything is as pretty as hand quilting, however, I know I have arthritis in my hands and by the time I finsh hand sewing the binding on the back of a quilt,,,,,My hands hurt. So hand quilting (even if I knew how)a whole quilt, would be out of the question. Your work is beautiful!
My reasoning, too. Have had to give up counted cross stitch on that account. Your work is exquisite!! My Grandma taught me to hand quilt, and she would be mortified if she was around to see all the machine quilting. For some of us, machine quilting is the only way it will ever be finished.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:42 PM

Mercy, you've done some fantastic work. The first quilt is magnificant------------both the applique and quilting.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:17 PM

I will admit i havent read all the repliess,,, smack me lol. I do love your work andc i agree with you 100%. Hand quilting and machine quilting are two different worlds in my opinion. I love both also! I may seem odd but i really enjoy hand quilting. I find it so relaxing! I havent gotten to your level of work by any means!. I have done a few baby blankets by hand. When others realize you have actually hand stitched the quilt they are even more amazed and appreciative. My goal, one day, is to make a quilt completely by hand! That includes hand stitching all the squares to make the block as well the finishing quilting.
Cheers to all quilters!! We are all fantabulous : )
Old 09-22-2010, 11:11 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Looking at your fabulous quilts caused me to suck all the air out of the room with surprise and amazement!

Jan in VA
Old 09-23-2010, 01:40 AM

I love to handquilt also - have always loved hand work. Your quilts are an inspiration to me. I am working on a very old one right now and really need to get it done - then I have our first grandbaby's quilt to finish, two for my mom, one other one for our daughter and then many more I hope! :) Thanks.