grandparents rights

Old 09-22-2010, 03:26 PM

I went to the internet and found not exactly the site was looking for , but may be the one they are now. Go to http://www.lawinfo.com/fuseaction/Cl...ategoryid/1218 there is info and some video about moving out of state and a listing for all states to find a lawyer Hope this helps
Old 09-22-2010, 03:28 PM

I am so sorry you are going through this. I've been through similar circumstances with DIL. They just live l/2 mile from me and now the kids don't want to come over. She did a good job of brainwashing. Heart ache. I wish I could help you. I just know how hurtful all of this is. And there is info for your daughter relative to abusive relationships. She needs a wake up call.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
As grandparents, we really don't have rights, and I've never understood the reasoning for that. Some of these children have spent as much or more time with us as with their parents. The father in this case does have rights. He can fight letting her take his child out of the state they live in. The state where the divorce takes place has jurisdiction over the child. Normally the courts go with the mom, if her new husband HAS to move because of a job transfer. This doesn"T seem to apply to your situation. Whatever is your daughter thinking??? No job, refuses to work, leaving one child behind, and quitting her job????? She is not thinking straight! If she isn"T listening to reason, talk to the fahter, get him to help fight this. Doesn't she realize what this is going to do to both kids? And if that person even thought of raising a pick ax to her , even in a joking manner, she should be scared to death of him. For hersellf and her child! If she can find a job, wil he be watching the child while she is gone. Too many horror stories about step-dads that can't control their temper while watching the kids. God be with all of you!!!!
I so agree with this. Dad could definitely help out and want the younger one too, and probably get him, especially if neither will have a job, but most definitely keep them from leaving the state. Enlist his help.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:49 PM

Kinda tokk a look at past posts. If they coming to California there are no jobs. We have Nurses out of work. That should tell you. And for the few places that do put out hiring , they even run credit checks. Out of work how do you pay bills, when you can barelly afford to eat. Of course your credit is sliding. Hire you They so no Bad Credit!!I don't care what you do for a living, There are over 1,000 applicants for every one job opening. And we are still having places close up and people being put out of work all along the western states here!I may be wrong but I beleive the states here now you can not get welfare without a year waiting list, because they are tired of people moving here to get more money then they got from their last state. Don't quote me , but I heard that. You can not get unemployment either, because you left a paying job, and moved here without one already being gotten before that move!! Oh they will be back when nothing pans out, but on whose dollars to get them back?? And they are always going in and busting houses for drug raids. Murder is on the news all the time. I live in a cow town with orchards, very small, and and this is going on around me constantly! Crime is out of control, and Police Services are cut back. Yet we are the most expensive state to live in. The state has no budget yet and god knows when it will. And they keep cutting back on all services. Even cops are out of work without any aspect of employment and leaving this state. I know I am going to move out of here too.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:48 PM

What state do you live in? Many states have grandparent rights.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

Oh that is so sad. Try and call the courts to see if they have any attorneys who will allow you to ask questions for free over the phone. We have such a service in Boston, Ma
Old 09-22-2010, 08:35 PM

so sorry to hear what is happening maybe you can tell your daughter to go ahead and move and to send for the child when she gets settled in , maybe after she gets there she might change her mind about sending for him, well it was a thought !!!!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:08 PM

I cannot offer any advice due to having no experience with this type of situation. I do offer you & your Dear Grandchildren my thought & prayers. This is all so heart breaking. As a Grandmother, I cannot even begin to know your feelings. I can only imagine.

{{{{{HUGE HUGS}}}}}
Old 09-22-2010, 09:51 PM

I have been in a similar situation, so sympathize with you and your grandkids. What is different is that I can afford to travel to see my grandsons or bring them to visit me in the summer. It is a huge expense and I get no help from his parent/step-parent. For some reason. they think I have an unlimited supply of money. That's ok, what I spend on seeing my grands won't be in their inheritance!

Perhaps if you asked your grandson why he wants to live with you - no leading questions - he will tell you something that you can act on.

Other than that, I suggest that you call your daughter and grandson as frequently as possible.

I will pray for you and for them.

I agree with you - no one 'teases' with a pick-axe.

Just had another thought - if you have a computer or can get one and your daughter has one, you can get relatively inexpensive video cameras that 'attach' to the computers. Then you can call your grandson and daughter and see them, too. Of course, that only works if your daughter co-operates.

I like the idea of a code word to indicate something is drastically wrong for your grandchild, but, he may not be old enough to understand when to use it.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:18 AM

thanks everyone for all of you prayers and thoughts --- I am beginning to think that I need to spend some of my time working on getting the laws changed so that grandparents have rights!!!!
I can do the research on the computer while I set with my legs up to keep the swelling down and maybe doing something to help all grandparents would keep my blood pressure down as well.
With the response I have gotten from this post I am sure there are many that would help
Although quilting does help me relax and I do enjoy it spending sometime on a project like this would be very benificial as well I am sure.

Thanks to everyone for you prayers